Need to migrate 5.0.10 > a later version, but zimbra doesn't meet requirements - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need to migrate 5.0.10 > a later version, but zimbra doesn't meet requirements

I have one more query i'm afraid, i'm no where near ready to do this migration yet, but just reading the docs.

On the guide Zx Backup: Migration Tool Import - ZeXtras Suite Wiki

it says: "Configure all the imported domains"

What exactly does that entail, can I not just leave them as they were, if i'm trying to keep everything the same?

Thanks

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MercJones View Post
    I have one more query i'm afraid, i'm no where near ready to do this migration yet, but just reading the docs.

On the guide Zx Backup: Migration Tool Import - ZeXtras Suite Wiki

it says: "Configure all the imported domains"

What exactly does that entail, can I not just leave them as they were, if i'm trying to keep everything the same?

Thanks
    My bad, forgot to delete that line from the guide when I updated it for version 1.0.0 (before of that domain configurations were not imported).
    Right now all domain configs and preferences are imported, you don't need to edit anything

Guide fixed. thank you for pointing this out!

Cine
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Cine View Post
    My bad, forgot to delete that line from the guide when I updated it for version 1.0.0 (before of that domain configurations were not imported).
    Right now all domain configs and preferences are imported, you don't need to edit anything

Guide fixed. thank you for pointing this out!

Cine
    No problems at all, I'm looking forward to trying all this out.

If everything goes to plan, I will probably write a decent blog post on one of our websites(we used to do a lot of blogging relating to Open Source etc and had quite a few followers)..

I've got another question sorry - Current server is on IP 0.9, i'm going clone the VM, bring it up on the same ip (0.9) after shutting the old one down, so I can do the trial migration from the safety of a cloned machine, so if it fails, I can simply shutdown the clone and reload the old. If it all works, I will be on ubuntu 6.06 and zimbra 6.0.16. After this can I use your tool to migrate to the 64bit version(on ubuntu 10.04) *and* on a different IP or does it have to be on 0.9 also?

Thanks

I've got another question sorry - Current server is on IP 0.9, i'm going clone the VM, bring it up on the same ip (0.9) after shutting the old one down, so I can do the trial migration from the safety of a cloned machine, so if it fails, I can simply shutdown the clone and reload the old. If it all works, I will be on ubuntu 6.06 and zimbra 6.0.16. After this can I use your tool to migrate to the 64bit version(on ubuntu 10.04) *and* on a different IP or does it have to be on 0.9 also?

Thanks
    No need to be sorry! Questions, answers and discussions is what a community is all about

The import procedure is completely unrelated to the surrounding environment, so as long as Zimbra is healthy and running you can import your data.
    You can freely change OS, Arch, IP, Hostname, Storage and Zimbra release, the import will not be influenced by that...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website

Quote Originally Posted by Cine View Post
    No need to be sorry! Questions, answers and discussions is what a community is all about

The import procedure is completely unrelated to the surrounding environment, so as long as Zimbra is healthy and running you can import your data.
    You can freely change OS, Arch, IP, Hostname, Storage and Zimbra release, the import will not be influenced by that...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    Does this mean that your tool does the same as doing the 32 > 64 bit migration (ie all the stuff listed: Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server - Zimbra :: Wiki ) , or would I still need to do that first myself?

Does this mean that your tool does the same as doing the 32 > 64 bit migration (ie all the stuff listed: Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server - Zimbra :: Wiki ) , or would I still need to do that first myself?
    Yes it does, and you won't even need to have the same Zimbra version on both servers

Simply install Zimbra and ZeXtras Suite in the 64bit server, manually apply the Server configuration (as it is the only kind of onfiguration ZeXtras Backup doesn't restore) and restore the data on the new server. A detailed, step-by-step guide can be found at ZxBackup: Incremental migration with ZeXtras Backup - ZeXtras Suite Wiki

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website

Ok thanks again, I only wish zextras would work on my old version of zimbra 5.0.10. It'd save soooo much time and hassle,

also, how come zimbra go on about keeping the IP's the same and so on, and zextras doesnt care?

Is your migration more suited to servers that are changing ip's - for the no downtime option, because i was considering keeping the old and new server IP the same?

Thanks
    Last edited by MercJones; 09-14-2012 at 01:56 PM.

Ok thanks again, I only wish zextras would work on my old version of zimbra 5.0.10. It'd save soooo much time and hassle,
    Unfortunately this is not possible, as Zimbra 5 missed some very important internal components needed by ZeXtras Suite to work.

also, how come zimbra go on about keeping the IP's the same and so on, and zextras doesnt care?
    That's basically because following the Zimbra Wiki guide will make you "move" your data to a new location, while ZeXtras Suite actually "migrates" the data. The subtile difference is that while "moving" the data Zimbra will be completely unaware of the operation so you need to "trick" the new Zimbra installation to think that the data is it's own by having matching configurations, ZeXtras Suite actually works at a higher level and "cooperates" with the running Zimbra software in order to add the new data...

Is your migration more suited to servers that are changing ip's - for the no downtime option, because i was considering keeping the old and new server IP the same?
    The steps to take are exactly the same, but obviously you won't be able to achieve the no-downtime as you won't be able to have both servers coexisting on the network...

Thanks
    You're welcome!
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website

Hi Cine,

I wouldn't mind your advice if you could regarding this Zimbra migration.

I've almost got the clone now of my Zimbra Server, which will be an exact replica of what I currently have.

I've basically cloned the old disk, and will still have to stop zimbra/halt the server and then do a final rsync of the data. At this stage I should be able to bring up the cloned virtual machine on exactly the same IP(it should function the same as my current one).

Before I boot the cloned version up, i have to make sure I somehow block access to the cloned machine(in terms of emails coming in/out). My current setup is, users can access the server internally via a web interface, externally via a web interface or externally via zimbra desktop. The access externally by using the remote IP address of my router.

I was considering doing the following, there will be no internal users on the system apart from me, so i wont be opening Zimbra. Auto emails do get sent though from another server directly to zimbra,so i'm not sure about that. For external users I was considering removing the port forwarding on the router (Ports 25, HTTP, HTTPS, iMAP(143) all point to my mail server, so i could block those/remove the forwarding. Would that work?

What happens if mail gets sent to my clone, and then i turn my old one back on, i assume no corruption, just simply that the email wont exist on the original server?

Additionally to this, I need to ensure Zimbra doesn't boot on startup(on the original and therefore rsyn'd across to the clone). I will be doing this via

sudo update-rc.d -f zimbra remove
    sudo update-rc.d -f zimbra stop 2 3 4 5 .

Then to start/add back again:

sudo update-rc.d zimbra defaults

At this stage, i should be able to do that final sync, and then boot the clone, do what you originally suggested, plus another step(*):

* fix the logger problem with the steps listed here: Reset Zimbra logger after an upgrade | TommyBlue.it

Do the data integrity check
    Do the Permission Fix/Check
    File System Check
    Ensure Blocked access

And then do the downloading of 6.0.16, and run install.sh.. and i assume it's just follow the onscreen instructions pretty much.

Any comments regarding the blocking etc?

Thanks

Hi Cine,

I wouldn't mind your advice if you could regarding this Zimbra migration.
    Hi MercJones, Cine is in vacations, but maybe I can help you...

Before I boot the cloned version up, i have to make sure I somehow block access to the cloned machine(in terms of emails coming in/out). My current setup is, users can access the server internally via a web interface, externally via a web interface or externally via zimbra desktop. The access externally by using the remote IP address of my router.

I was considering doing the following, there will be no internal users on the system apart from me, so i wont be opening Zimbra. Auto emails do get sent though from another server directly to zimbra,so i'm not sure about that. For external users I was considering removing the port forwarding on the router (Ports 25, HTTP, HTTPS, iMAP(143) all point to my mail server, so i could block those/remove the forwarding. Would that work?
    We usually prefer to use a simple script ipitables like this:
    Code:
    #Flush of all rules
    iptables -F
    #permit SSH access
    iptables  -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
    #Permit local traffic
    iptables  -A INPUT -p tcp -s 127.0.0.1/8 -j ACCEPT
    iptables  -A INPUT -p tcp -s <LOCAL_IP> -j ACCEPT
    #Permit access from you workstation
    iptables  -A INPUT -p tcp -s <YOUR_CLIENT_IP> -j ACCEPT
    #Block all Zimbra ports for incoming traffic
    iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp -m multiport --dport 25,80,110,143,443,993,995 -j REJECT
    #Block all Zimbra outgoing traffic
    iptables -A OUTPUT -o eth0 -p tcp --dport 25 -j REJECT
    What happens if mail gets sent to my clone, and then i turn my old one back on, i assume no corruption, just simply that the email wont exist on the original server?
    Yes, I can confirm this but I suggest to check also the postfix queue. When you sync the 2 installations postfix can have some messagges on deferred queue.

Additionally to this, I need to ensure Zimbra doesn't boot on startup(on the original and therefore rsyn'd across to the clone). I will be doing this via

sudo update-rc.d -f zimbra stop 2 3 4 5 .

Then to start/add back again:

sudo update-rc.d zimbra defaults
    Ok or you can modify /etc/fstab file to mount the /opt partition with the noexec option if you are a little paranoid like me

At this stage, i should be able to do that final sync, and then boot the clone, do what you originally suggested, plus another step(*):

* fix the logger problem with the steps listed here: Reset Zimbra logger after an upgrade | TommyBlue.it
    I don't remember this, but I'm not running zimbra 6 for some time.

Do the data integrity check
    Do the Permission Fix/Check
    File System Check
    Ensure Blocked access

And then do the downloading of 6.0.16, and run install.sh.. and i assume it's just follow the onscreen instructions pretty much.
    Good luck!

D0s0n
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast