I'm doing some testing with ZeXtras Migration Tool

So far all was well, but I have a doubt

What can I do to minimize the downtime of the mail server

For example, I have the following scenario:

Zimbra1 - IP 192.168.0.1 - Centos 5 - 7 x32 ZCS
    Zimbra2 - IP 192.168.0.2 - Centos 6 - 7 x64 ZCS

I need to put in place production Zimbra2 the Zimbra1

I followed the following steps.

1 °) Zimbra1 doing back-up ZeXtras Migration Tool in a shared folder on Zimbra2 (16 hours)

2 °) Zimbra2 restoring the back up Zimbra1 (60 hours)

3) Change the IP and name to Zimbra1 Zimbra3

4) Change the name and IP Zimbra2 to Zimbra and put into production

Problem, emails received between steps 1 and 2 and are not exported or imported, could not make sync data.

I need to find a way to reduce downtime, and put the name server as soon as possible in production and tested the rsync fails.

I tried the migration again, but he does not leave, saying that the folder is not empty.

I would appreciate the cooperation of the staff of the forum, thank you all.

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello Diego,

there is a dedicated step-by-step guide on how to migrate your data with the lowest downtime possible (virtually zero) using ZeXtras Backup instead of ZeXtras Migration Tool on the source server. The guide can be found at ZxBackup: Incremental migration with ZeXtras Backup - ZeXtras Suite Wiki.

In your specific case, I'd suggest to use your ZxMig export folder as your Backup Path for the export explained in Step3, so that you'll only update the exported data instead of exporting a whole new dataset.

Keep us up to date with the status of your migration!

Have a nice day,
    Cine

[P.s.: You can use the trial version of ZeXtras Backup for this procedure]

ZeXtras Migration Reduce Downtime

Just to see if I understand

I would first migrate using the Mig ZeXtra Tool, exported and imported.

Then do the backup in the same folder where you exported the data from the Migration Tools and mind again.

I can get on the same machine ZeXtra ZeXtra Migration Tool and Back-up

Could be clearer in the walkthrough, thank you.
    Last edited by diego.luisi; 06-11-2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Merged two identical threads

Hello Diego,

ZeXtras Suite and ZeXtras Migration Tool cannot be installed on the same server, but if you decide to go with the incremental migration explained in the guide you will not need the ZeXtras Migration Tool anymore.

In your particular case (having already exported your data with ZxMig) you can export your "new" data using ZxBackup on the same directory so that you won't have to export all data again.

Have a nice day,
    Cine

If I put the Zimbra2 into production and start importing the Back-up ZeXtra Mig

For example, my account is dluisi@zimbra.com

While restoring the backup that I can access my account normally, but it appears no emails, as is still restoring the data, and if I receive an email at this time he will join those who I had not yet been restored or it can give trouble?

thank you

Hello Diego,

the steps to follow in your particular case are:

(Zimbra1 is in production, you already exported a batch of data with ZxMig and imported it on Zimbra2)

- Uninstall ZeXtras Migration Tool
    - Install ZeXtras Suite
    - Export your data as explained in the guide using your previous export path as the backup path, only new items will be exported [Step3 of the guide]
    - Import all your data to Zimbra2 - only new items will be imported [Step5 of the guide]

(Zimbra1 is in production and Zimbra2 contains the vast majority of the data)

- Switch the mailflow to Zimbra2 putting it on production [Step6 of the guide]

(Zimbra2 is in production, only a few emails are missing)

- Export your data as explained in the guide using your previous export path as the backup path (only new items will be exported) [Step7 of the guide]
    - Import all your data to Zimbra2 - only new items will be imported [Step7 of the guide]
    - Since only fery few items are exported and imported on this step, this should be fairly fast [Step7 of the guide]

(Zimbra2 is in production and is fully aligned)

- Perform Step 8 of the guide
    - Perform Step 9 of the guide

Have a nice day,
    Cine

Hello,
    I'm trying to do the next step.

- Export your data explained in the guide to using your previous export path to the backup path, only new items will be exported [Step3 of the guide]

But I'm not getting,

When I go ZxBackup - Export Backup I get an error saying that the destination is not empty.

When I go to the console and digit (zxsuite backup doFullScan) nothing happens, only the message

server mail.xxxxx.com.br
    operationId a7e73e18-ef64-4B11-ad1f-b2db77d921b2

Hello Diego,

as described in step 3 of the guide I linked, the export procedure for an incremental migration is done through the Full Scan function - this will align the data saved in the backup path with the actual data on the system instead of exporting a full dataset as it's done by the Export Backup function.

Have a nice day (or night, depending on your timezone )
    Cine

Hello, i do this...

Step 3: Data Export

Run a FullScan on the source server:

zxsuite backup doFullScan

But i donīt have sucess

Hi Diego,

Have you checked your notification view, notification mails or the mailbox.log file?

D0s0n
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast