Incremental Migration?

Thread: Incremental Migration?

Question Incremental Migration?

Hello All,

I'm migrating a ZCS 8.6.0 on CentOS 6 to ZCS 8.8.10 on CentOS 7.

I've got ZeXtras Migration tool installed on the Source Server and ZeXtras Suite on the Destination.

Last night I successfully exported from the Source to an SSHFS mount and was able to successfully import the backup on the Destination. All went extremely well, but it took over 4 hours for the whole process so I was not able to go live with the new server just yet. Currently the Source is still the active server and the Destination is sitting idle.

My question is: What is the best method to import the data that has changed from then until now to the Destination server? Does incremental migration work? I've read the FAQ and the Wiki, but I'm not 100% clear on how to make this work.

When I attempt to export from the Source again, it complains that the folder is not empty. If I do a full export to a different folder, will the import on the Destination duplicate the already imported data or will it only import the difference between the last import?

Any suggestions on the proper method to import just the new data would be appreciated!

james

Zextras employee Known ZeXtras Reseller
    Participant

Hi jvantslot,
    and welcome to the Zextras forum!

Quote Originally Posted by jvantslot View Post
    I'm migrating a ZCS 8.6.0 on CentOS 6 to ZCS 8.8.10 on CentOS 7.
    I've got ZeXtras Migration tool installed on the Source Server and ZeXtras Suite on the Destination.
    My question is: What is the best method to import the data that has changed from then until now to the Destination server? Does incremental migration work? I've read the FAQ and the Wiki, but I'm not 100% clear on how to make this work.
    Incremental migration can be achieved only with the full Zextras Suite, installed on the Source and on the Destination Server, because you have to use the "Smart scan" feature

As reported in the FAQ section of the migration wiki page:
    Code:
    Q: Do I need a valid license in order to perform an incremental migration?
    Yes. It can be either a Trial License or a purchased one.

Quote Originally Posted by jvantslot View Post
    When I attempt to export from the Source again, it complains that the folder is not empty. If I do a full export to a different folder, will the import on the Destination duplicate the already imported data or will it only import the difference between the last import?
    Any suggestions on the proper method to import just the new data would be appreciated!
    I strongly suggest you install the full Suite on the source server and restart the process from scratch, removing imported data and re-initializing the destination backup path.

Following the migration guide, you will also be able to raise the number of threads used by the import operation and use the "provisioning only" feature in order to reduce the destination idle time.

Have a nice day,
    Luca
    the ZeXtras Team
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery