Migration from CentOS 5.5 32bit with Zimbra 7.1.4NE to CentOS 5.7 64bit Zimbra 7.1.4
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Migration from CentOS 5.5 32bit with Zimbra 7.1.4NE to CentOS 5.7 64bit Zimbra 7.1.4

  1. #1
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5

    Post Migration from CentOS 5.5 32bit with Zimbra 7.1.4NE to CentOS 5.7 64bit Zimbra 7.1.4

    Hi all,

    Found this great migration tool while googling for easier way to migrate 32bit a 64bit ZCS NE.

    However, finished the full scan and doExport. But while doing the zxsuite doExternalRestore came out empty on the new 64bit Centos Server? Might it be that zxsuite does not support 7.1.4NE yet?

    Regards all.

  2. #2
    ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,342
    Hello Nizam,
    welcome to the forums.

    I need some more informations in order to help you:

    - What version of ZeXtras Migration Tool/ZeXtras Suite are you running?

    - Did you receive all due notifications? (Export Started, Export Ended, Import Started, Import Running, Import Ended)

    - Any errors in the notifications or in the logs?
    • check the mailbox.log,
    • the zextras_ZxBackup_Export_[operation id].log
    • and the zextras_ZxBackup_ExternalRestore_[operation id].log
    - What's the size of the /opt/zimbra/store folder in the source server and of the export directory? (as of `du -sh`)

    Have a nice day,
    Cine
    Last edited by Cine; 03-14-2012 at 09:01 AM.
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

    ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

    Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

    ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

  3. #3
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Cine View Post
    Hello Nizam,
    welcome to the forums.

    I need some more informations in order to help you:

    - What version of ZeXtras Migration Tool/ZeXtras Suite are you running?

    - Did you receive all due notifications? (Export Started, Export Ended, Import Started, Import Running, Import Ended)

    - Any errors in the notifications or in the logs?
    • check the mailbox.log,
    • the zextras_ZxBackup_Export_[operation id].log
    • and the zextras_ZxBackup_ExternalRestore_[operation id].log
    - What's the size of the /opt/zimbra/store folder in the source server and of the export directory? (as of `du -sh`)

    Have a nice day,
    Cine
    Hi,

    Have resolved the issue with export and import. However, the import process is taking about 5 hours to complete the import process of 185 accounts of 29GB of data. Is this normal? Anyway to speed up the process?

  4. #4
    ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by nizam View Post
    Hi,

    Have resolved the issue with export and import. However, the import process is taking about 5 hours to complete the import process of 185 accounts of 29GB of data. Is this normal? Anyway to speed up the process?
    Hello Nizam,

    glad you solved the problem!

    Usually low import speed is due to poor i/o performances, a couple of suggestions:

    - Don't keep the exported data on the same storage device as the /opt/zimbra/store /opt/zimbra/data/db folder.
    - Keep an eye on your storage performances with the `iostat -xm 1` command.
    - Optimize your storage following the guidelines found in Performance Tuning Guidelines for Large Deployments - Zimbra :: Wiki

    Also, if the import is running on a live server note that clients like Zimbra Desktop connecting to a mailbox that is being imported GREATLY slows down the import procedure.

    Have a nice day,
    Cine
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

    ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

    Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

    ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

  5. #5
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Cine View Post
    Hello Nizam,

    glad you solved the problem!

    Usually low import speed is due to poor i/o performances, a couple of suggestions:

    - Don't keep the exported data on the same storage device as the /opt/zimbra/store /opt/zimbra/data/db folder.
    - Keep an eye on your storage performances with the `iostat -xm 1` command.
    - Optimize your storage following the guidelines found in Performance Tuning Guidelines for Large Deployments - Zimbra :: Wiki

    Also, if the import is running on a live server note that clients like Zimbra Desktop connecting to a mailbox that is being imported GREATLY slows down the import procedure.

    Have a nice day,
    Cine
    Hi Cine,

    On large mailboxes, the zxsuite backup doExternalRestore seems to hang on that particular accounts which exceeds 2-3GB mailbox sizes. My question is, is it possible to view whether the doExternalRestore is running or not because when we do zxsuite backup monitor of that particular operations the statisctic does not change for a long time. What we did when we encountered this was to zmcontrol stop, and zmcontrol start again and rerun zxsuite backup doExternalRestore again. This is because zxsuite backup doStopAllOperations did not stop that particular operations and we see alot of item scan operations being queud.

    Second question is, does zextras backup backing up the HSM? If it does, how do we make sure that the HSM data is migrated? do we have to prepare the HSM volume first, with the same path? Or can we just disable the HSM on the source system, hoping that it will copy the HSM data from the secondary storage back to the primary. And then run doFullScan, export the staging directory to the new server and doExternalRestore from that new servers?

    TIA Cine,

    Nizam.

  6. #6
    CTO ZeXtras Employee d0s0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by nizam View Post
    Hi Cine,

    On large mailboxes, the zxsuite backup doExternalRestore seems to hang on that particular accounts which exceeds 2-3GB mailbox sizes. My question is, is it possible to view whether the doExternalRestore is running or not because when we do zxsuite backup monitor of that particular operations the statisctic does not change for a long time. What we did when we encountered this was to zmcontrol stop, and zmcontrol start again and rerun zxsuite backup doExternalRestore again. This is because zxsuite backup doStopAllOperations did not stop that particular operations and we see alot of item scan operations being queud.
    During the import process, you can monitor different sources, as Cine said:

    Quote Originally Posted by Cine View Post
    ...
    • check the mailbox.log,
    • the zextras_ZxBackup_Export_[operation id].log
    • and the zextras_ZxBackup_ExternalRestore_[operation id].log
    so if a mailbox has a lot of items, you could see many "add message" log lines as the import is in progress.
    However we are investigating about the doStopAllOperations command to check if it always works, it seems to have some response issues sometimes.
    The long queue of ItemScan operations is normal while the RealtimeScanner is enabled and an operation is running; after the completion of that operation all the other operations queued will be processed and skipped if you have yet to initialize your backup path, so during the import you can safely disable it.

    Quote Originally Posted by nizam View Post
    Second question is, does zextras backup backing up the HSM? If it does, how do we make sure that the HSM data is migrated? do we have to prepare the HSM volume first, with the same path? Or can we just disable the HSM on the source system, hoping that it will copy the HSM data from the secondary storage back to the primary. And then run doFullScan, export the staging directory to the new server and doExternalRestore from that new servers?
    The number and the location of the zimbra stores are irrelevant for the ZxBackup module, since it asks Zimbra directly for all the items, user by user, and then it saves/exports them. You can try to export and import some accounts to verify that, if you wish.

    Cheers.

    D0s0n
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

    Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

  7. #7
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by d0s0n View Post
    During the import process, you can monitor different sources, as Cine said:



    so if a mailbox has a lot of items, you could see many "add message" log lines as the import is in progress.
    However we are investigating about the doStopAllOperations command to check if it always works, it seems to have some response issues sometimes.
    The long queue of ItemScan operations is normal while the RealtimeScanner is enabled and an operation is running; after the completion of that operation all the other operations queued will be processed and skipped if you have yet to initialize your backup path, so during the import you can safely disable it.



    The number and the location of the zimbra stores are irrelevant for the ZxBackup module, since it asks Zimbra directly for all the items, user by user, and then it saves/exports them. You can try to export and import some accounts to verify that, if you wish.

    Cheers.

    D0s0n
    Hi D0s0n

    Anyway to exclude an account during doExternalRestore? Got 1000+ accounts and need to exclude some 2-3 accounts.

    Regards,

    Nizam.

  8. #8
    CTO ZeXtras Employee d0s0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    565
    Now you must export all accounts by domain but very soon, in the next 1.2.5 version, you could exclude some users from export/backup by COS.
    Keep in touch!

    D0s0n
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

    Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

  9. #9
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by d0s0n View Post
    Now you must export all accounts by domain but very soon, in the next 1.2.5 version, you could exclude some users from export/backup by COS.
    Keep in touch!

    D0s0n
    Thanks for the info D0s0n. Meanwhile, have to do by batch script then.

    Cheers.

    Nizam.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •