Combine servers without user changes?

Thread: Combine servers without user changes?

Combine servers without user changes?

Right now I have two ubuntu 14.04 zimbra 8.6 servers with zextras mobile only (had to downgrade due to funds). They are both setup to use a remote anti-spam gateway, so all local anti-spam is disabled. I am thinking about upgrading them both to 8.7, then setting up a new 8.7 system zextras mobile and doing the anti-spam stuff locally (whatever zimbra natively supports). I only have about 30 users on each system. There are multiple domains setup, but only the hostnames are used on both systems for access to webmail and activesync. Would it be possible to combine the two systems into the 3rd one without any end user changes? For some reason I am thinking thats a new option with 8.7 with its multi domain/ssl support. Any suggestions and ideas are sincerely appreciated.

Do note that I plan to put the users on a 16GB kvm vm on ssd's with 8 hyperthreaded cores. Only about half are using webmail, the other half mostly just access it through activesync. Hope that's enough to keep things speedy.

Thanks for your time and suggestions!

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello, MACscr!

That's definitely possible, I strongly suggest to test both the upgrade and the migration process and to use ZeXtras Backup for an "Incremental Migration" (feel free to get in touch with our Sales Team through our Support Portal and ask for an Extended Trial License).

About the actual process, I'd say that you could run a "provisioning-only" first import to create all domains, Classes of Service and users on the new server, set up SSL and everything else you need and then do the actual restores as mentioned in the Incremental Migration guide. We're at your service for any help you might need, here on the forums or through a support ticket

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

How would I go about making sure both old hostnames work for connection purposes? Wouldnt the service name of 8.7 potentially cause an issue?

Hello MACscr!

The names on the new server won't cause any issue during the testing phase, as long as the DNS knows where the "real" server is - and you can set your client to resolve the domain names to the new server's IP...
    You can do as many tests as you wish safely, and then change your DNS recordsm start the final restore and re-apply any new domain-level setting when the new server is ready to go in production...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website

Clients connect with the servers hostname, so the only dns that would need changing is for the hostnames. You sure they can connect with activesync/caldav devices without any issues to multiple hostnames pointing to the same system? I swear you used to be only to use one.

Hello MACscr!

Multiple domains on the same system are handled by Zimbra itself (check out the "zimbraPublicHostame" and "zimbraVirtualHostName" properties) and I confirm that in multi-domain setup users can connect to EAS and *Dav resources through their own domain, while SSL-wise you can either use a UCC certificate with multiple domain names or by assigning a dedicated certificate for each domain via SNI...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website

Maybe Im missing something, but you just said through their own domain. My users are not using their domain at all for connections. In any type of connection, the only time their domain is specified, its just in their email address. Any connection where it asks for server, they put the hostname of the system and of course that hostname is using SSL. Their individual domains are not using SSL and are not pointed towards the server at all besides mx records.

Would be great to get a response to my latest question.