Incremental migration

Thread: Incremental migration

Incremental migration

Hi,

I am trying to do a migration as described here: https://wiki.zextras.com/wiki/ZxBack...ZeXtras_Backup
    In step 3 I am doing the single domain export.

I can import the data on the new server without problems. However, going back to step 3 (as suggested in step 7) using the same command and same export directory gives me a 'directory not empty'.
    So, it looks like incremental migration is not possible when using single domain method?
    Or am I doing something wrong?

Sietse
    Last edited by vogon1; 05-31-2016 at 01:56 PM.

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello Sietse,
    welcome to the forums!

I confirm that the "doExport" command requires an empty directory - so it cannot be exported incrementally...
    I'll update the documentation accordingly shortly, in the meantime in order to provide you with a specific suggestion I'd like to know more about your migration scenario:

* Is ZeXtras Backup currently running on the source server (e.g. the whole server is being backed up and you need to migrate away a domain)?
    * Does the domain have one or more dedicated Classes of Service? Is there a single CoS for the whole server?
    * Could you give me a rough estimate of the total size of the accounts in the domain you are migrating?
    * Is the domain being migrated to a server within the same LAN/storage infrastructure?

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Hi,

Thanks for replying.
    I am moving away a few domains from my current server to a new one. Both source and target have ZeXtras Backup. The current server does ZeXtras backup.
    No dedicated Classes of Service (one single COS).
    The export was about half an hour, the import was 2 hours, the store on the new server was about 4G.
    The migration directory is a NFS share from another server than the source/target Zimbra.

If this migration succeeds, I will move away more domains from current to new server with a total of about 30G of data. My plan is to do it i phases by doing it on a number of domains per migration.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sietse

Hey Sietse!

Since you already have an initialized backup path I'd suggest to rsync that to the NFS directory instead of exporting - if it isn't already there - and use that as the source path for the import...

Another option would be to mount the source server's backup path to a directory in the destination one via sshfs (since I assume both servers are in the same LAN).

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Thanks, will do the rsync to the NFS share.

BTW, did my initial post get lost?

Sietse
    Last edited by vogon1; 05-31-2016 at 04:55 PM.

Opsie, the first post was automatically moderated and it looks like it took a couple minutes more than usual to approve it, should be fixed now

Senior Member Known ZeXtras Reseller
    Cine,
    it seems the wiki has not been updated yet and the issue (incremental migration not working for single domain) still exists.

Hello Klug!

Albeit there's currently a bug in the external restore, Incremental Migration for a single domain works: in this thread's case the user was trying to run multiple "External Backup" over the same directory, which is not allowed by the software. The only way to do an Incremental Migration is by using a live backup path as the source as described in the guide...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the Zextras Team