query regarding backup and restore for migration
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cine

Thread: query regarding backup and restore for migration

query regarding backup and restore for migration

Dear all,

I plan to use the zextras migration tool for migrating zimbra 7x to 8x productions server
    just wanted to know do i need to shut down any modules like mailboxd or I can do the export while the server is fully functional

also regarding the restore is it a good practice to shut down any module or it does not make any difference

appreciate your advice

regards

simon

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello Simon!

Both ZeXtras Suite and the ZeXtras Migration Tool require the mailboxd service to be active in order to be functional, as both are "Extensions" to Zimbra.

Depending on your migration path you might need to block or divert the mailflow before you start: migrating with the ZeXtras Migration Tool is a 2-step process, so I suggest to move the mailflow to the new server and inhibit user access to the old one before you begin, while this is not needed in case of an "Incremental Migration"...

The only suggestions about the restore are:
    * Don't enable the "Apply HSM Policy" if not strictly necessary, as this slows down the operation quite a bit.
    * Initialize ZeXtras Bakcup *after* the restore. If you already initialized it and the backup path is stored on the same disk as the live data, disable the RealTime Scanner if you are experiencing low I/O performances.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team