Can't Get Migration Tool To Run

Thread: Can't Get Migration Tool To Run

Can't Get Migration Tool To Run

I'm using Zimbra 7.2.7 on a 32-bit CentOS 5 box. I desperately want (and need) to upgrade to 8.x on 64-bit CentOS 6. It looked like the migration tool would be ideal for this, but when I install it, Zimbra crashes. The error in mailbox.log is Java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space. This makes me suspect that I don't have enough memory assigned to Java.

I've looked at the Zimbra Wiki article, "Performance Tuning Guidelines," as suggested here (and elsewhere). That article says that, on a 32 bit system, mailboxd_java_heap_size is limited to 1.5 Gigabytes. I dumped my config with zmlocalconfig and sure enough, mailboxd_java_heap_size = 1420. Probably not enough.

I tried the migration tool last year when Zimbra introduced 8.0 for 64-bits only, but had the same problem back then.

My server has 16 gig of RAM, running the PAE 32-bit kernel. If I can just get the migration tool running, I will upgrade it to 64-bit and life will be good.

Any suggestions are greatly, deeply and profoundly appreciated.

-- Stephen

I just tried increasing the memory to 4096 (4 gig) and the mailbox died as soon as I restarted Zimbra. :/

Hi Stephen and welcome to our forums!

First of all the error you have reported is about the PermGen space, so I can suggests to increase it to 350, as reported on our Installation Guide:
    Code:
    (zimbra user)$ zmlocalconfig mailboxd_java_options
    And change the PermSize options:
    Code:
    {-XX:PermSize=128m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m} -> {-XX:PermSize=192m -XX:MaxPermSize=350m}
    About the Heap_size on a 32 bit Pae kernels you cannot use 4Gb for a single process (Frequently Asked Questions About the Java HotSpot VM)
    The maximum theoretical heap limit for the 32-bit JVM is 4G. Due to various additional constraints such as available swap, kernel address space usage, memory fragmentation, and VM overhead, in practice the limit can be much lower. On most modern 32-bit Windows systems the maximum heap size will range from 1.4G to 1.6G. On 32-bit Solaris kernels the address space is limited to 2G.
    ...so I can sugegst to try to set your mailboxd_java_heap_size to 2200 (something near that value):
    Code:
    zmlocalconfig -e mailboxd_java_heap_size=2200
    Have a nice day.
    D0s0n
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by d0s0n View Post
    Hi Stephen and welcome to our forums!
    Glad to be here, and thanks for the suggestions. I shall try them shortly.

You know, I read the installation instructions, but I guess I didn't see that. :/

I desperately want to get away from that 32-bit kernel. Thanks again.

OKAY! I think that worked. It's running, anyway.

Thanks a million.