General Migration Questions - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: General Migration Questions

Hello Cine,

Thank you for the reply. I will ensure the mapfiles do not get touched.

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Small addendum: since items are skipped and not overwritten, you might want to consider starting anew depending on how long ago the first export was made, as the "skipping" part includes any change done to items on the source server (e.g. moves or deletes).

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

Hello Cine,

To update you (and in case anybody else finds this useful too), the migration was successful. I did end up deleting /opt/zimbra on the new server and reinstalling Zimbra from scratch instead of overwriting the test data. A couple of issues seem to have been introduced by the migration/upgrade however:

- Though a default domain is set in the Global Configuration (e.g. domain1.com), occasionally users logging in with their usual first.last username will receive an error message that their credentials are not correct, when they are. The solution is always to input the full email address: first.last@domain1.com. This is an intermittent issue but suggests that the default domain is sometimes ignored.

- There are several domains set up in Zimbra. When users are composing emails, auto-complete does not work for domains different to them. For example, john.smith@domain1.com will not see jane.smith@domain2.com and vice versa. But @domain1.com staff will have auto-complete for other @domain1.com staff. Manually typing the email address successfully sends email to other domains, but the problem is an awkward one. GAL Sync settings are identical to that of the old server (GAL mode: Internal, GAL sync account name: galsync@domain[#].com, Data source: zimbra) yet the issue remains.

Do you think the ZeXtras migration may have caused these issues?

Do you have any suggestions as to solving these problems?

Any help you could provide is appreciated. Thank you for your help in all of this.

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello rty4!

Thank you for your feedback, it's really appreciated!

About the issue you reported:

- "Default Domain" being ignored: other than the Default Domain settings in the Global Config, each domain has a list of Virtual Hosts which are used to assume the domain of the user when logging in with just the first part of the email address. Please check whether Virtual Hosts were configured on the source server, and let me know if the setting has not been carried on through the migration...

- "Missing GAL entries": galsync accounts' datasources are known not to be reliably restored (see here), you should delete the galsync account via zmprov and create it from scratch via CLI following the guide on the offcial Zimbra wiki at https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/GAL_Sync_Account. I'd advice against creating it via GUI as both from personal experience and from users' feedback there can be some issues doing so...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

Hello Cine,

- "Default Domain" being ignored - yes, Virtual Hosts were present on the source server and it appears they have been migrated to the new server successfully. Internally, staff access Zimbra via the URL https://zimbra and "zimbra" is one of the virtual hosts. I've been watching the log files when the problem occurs and found the following in mailbox.log:

Code:
    2015-07-07 10:16:21,743 INFO  [qtp509886383-4201:http://127.0.0.1:80/service/soap/AuthRequest] [oip=CLIENT IP;ua=zclient/8.6.0_GA_1153;] SoapEngine - handler exception: authentication failed for [first.last], account not found
    2015-07-07 10:16:21,743 INFO  [qtp509886383-4201:http://127.0.0.1:80/service/soap/AuthRequest] [oip=CLIENT IP;ua=zclient/8.6.0_GA_1153;] soap - AuthRequest elapsed=5
    2015-07-07 10:16:21,743 INFO  [qtp509886383-4201:http://127.0.0.1:80/service/soap/AuthRequest] [] misc - Invalid login filter, checking if this was an auth req and authentication failed.
    2015-07-07 10:16:21,747 INFO  [qtp509886383-4200:https://127.0.0.1:7071/service/admin/soap/GetDomainInfoRequest] [ip=127.0.0.1;ua=ZCS/8.6.0_GA_1153;] soap - GetDomainInfoRequest elapsed=0
    Note that I have substituted "CLIENT IP" for the client's IP address and "first.last" for the username. If the same user (in this case, me) then tags @domain1.com (the default domain) onto the end of the username, login works fine. I'm a bit stuck with this at present, not sure what else to try.

- "Missing GAL entries": in better news, I believe I've solved this problem. The galsync accounts were created from scratch, then a sync was forced by running "zmgsautil forceSync -a galsync@domain.com -z zimbra" for each domain. After that, auto-complete for all GAL entries across all domains works.

One down, one to go!

Thank you for your help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12