Migration to new server clarifiations

Thread: Migration to new server clarifiations

Migration to new server clarifiations

Hello,

I am trying to migrate a single, Zimbra 7.2 Open Source from Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit to Zimbra 8.5 Open Source on Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit. The DESTINATION server has a temporary name and I will change the name to the SOURCE server as soon as the restore/import is done.

All ZeXtras installed (ZxMig on SOURCE, ZxSuite on DESTINATION) and successfully exported the COS using ZxMig from the web interface. I have a couple of questions I hope I can get some help with:

1) We don't need incremental migration, we can have downtime for scheduled maintenance to do the export and import. I did the ZxMig export while my SOURCE server was "live". This means that mail was coming-in during the export. Is there a way to bring the SOURCE Zimbra down enough so mail is not received but still able to perform the export so there is no mail missed by the export?

2) My SOURCE:/opt/zimbra/store is 24GB and my SOURCE:/opt/zimbra/backup/export is 18GB. Is this normal? Which one of the two directories (or both) do I need to copy over to DESTINATION:/opt/zimbra/migration (I will use rsync) so I can restore to the DESTINATION server (in other words, what does the 'ferry' supposed to contain)?

3) Do I need to create system-level (/etc/passwd) users or Zimbra mail accounts on DESTINATION before the import/restore or ZxBackup will create those being imported?

4) I would like to migrate the certificates from the old to the new server (all certificates, domains etc will be the same). Is there a way to do this without having to re-install the certificates (it was painful the first time around), just by copying the right /opt/zimbra subdirectories?

Thank you for your help.
    Best,
    George

PS: Impressed by the tools. We will most likely buying the backup tool, no more daily/weekly mail backup acrobatics for me...

Hi George and welcome to our forums.

First of all, you don't need to use different hostnames for source and destination servers, especially if you can have a downtime.

1) if you check the incremental migration guide you'll find that with zxbackup you can "update" your export directory with a simple Smart Scan operation after the backup/export initialization, while with zxmig you should close all zimbra services from users without stopping the mailboxd service (for example with some firewall rules).

2) The "ferry" store is only the export directory and it always saves lot of space by compression and deduplication.

3) A Zimbra mail server has nothing to do with system users (/etc/passwd), ZxBackup will create all your zimbra accounts, domains and COSes you have exported from the source server but I suggest you to avoid exporting/importing all system resurce accounts (galsync/spam/ham/virus-quarantine etc..).

4) No, you need to re-install your certificate manually on destination server like all other server settings and customizations you have made on source server. And if you follow my "first" advice, you can do it before the import process.

Have a nice migration.
    D0s0n
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

Hi D0s0n,
    Thank you for your reply. I have followed the steps and since yesterday I have been performing the import.

The only thing that worries me is that while the accounts seem to be properly be migrated, none of the users can see any of their folders (just their Inbox) however the volume of the import and the log indicates that all of the folders and images are being loaded.

Example from mailbox.log:
    2014-12-11 05:27:20,838 INFO [External Restore] [] extensions - Adding item 494578 => 364410
    2014-12-11 05:27:20,964 INFO [External Restore] [] mailop - Adding Message: id=364411, Message-ID=<20140429142600.EEA8643F@domain>, parentId=-1, folderId=267, folderName=mbox.
    2014-12-11 05:27:21,034 INFO [External Restore] [] extensions - Adding item 494588 => 364411
    2014-12-11 05:27:21,168 INFO [External Restore] [] mailop - Adding Message: id=364412, Message-ID=<535FCFEA.90402@domain>, parentId=-1, folderId=538, folderName=Medical.
    2014-12-11 05:27:21,191 INFO [External Restore] [] extensions - Adding item 494606 => 364412
    2014-12-11 05:27:21,308 INFO [External Restore] [] mailop - Adding Message: id=364413, Message-ID=<535FCFEA.90402@domain>, parentId=-1, folderId=5, folderName=Sent.
    2014-12-11 05:27:21,334 INFO [External Restore] [] extensions - Adding item 494603 => 364413
    and example of my ZxBackup_ExternalRestore_6440e499-a026-4d8f-86bc-5be5a3f23a52.log
    2014-12-11 05:29:08,265 DEBUG Restoring item 496311
    2014-12-11 05:29:08,429 INFO Adding item 496311 => 364786
    2014-12-11 05:29:08,466 DEBUG Restoring item 496333
    2014-12-11 05:29:08,576 INFO Adding item 496333 => 364787
    2014-12-11 05:29:08,578 DEBUG Restoring item 496332
    2014-12-11 05:29:08,678 INFO Adding item 496332 => 364788
    2014-12-11 05:29:08,680 DEBUG Restoring item 496342
    2014-12-11 05:29:08,814 INFO Adding item 496342 => 364789
    2014-12-11 05:29:08,823 DEBUG Restoring item 496340
    2014-12-11 05:29:09,497 INFO Adding item 496340 => 364790
    Should I expect for all the folders to appear once the Restore is complete?

Thanks,
    George
    Last edited by Cine; 12-11-2014 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Removed domain references from log quotes

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello George!

The import is done one user at a time, and the items should be displayed immediately on the Zimbra Webclient: could you please check which user the "Adding Message" lines in the mailbox log referred to by searching for a line containing "Restoring common items of account " right before the "Adding Message" ones start and check that user's mailbox to see if the items are correctly displayed?

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

Hi Cine,
    Thank you for your reply. I was looking via Thunderbird, not the web client and the folders were not there either. Looked in the mailbox log and I did not see anywhere the line: "Restoring common items of account". Strange...

But now I just got a different problem. I tailed the log and after 400K+ messages were imported, the / partition run out of space so the Restore stopped (my fault argh!)...So now

(1) I am going to stop ZImbra, and do: rsync -av /opt/zimbra /home/; ln -s /home/zimbra /opt/zimbra where there is space. Is that aproblem for ZeXtras?

(2) Run the Restore again. I suspect that it will attempt to load *all* the messages again rather than finish up where it stopped, correct? Is there a way to avoid duplicates or since it will load everything again just remove each account from the Web Admin and then restore each account individually?

Thank you,
    George

Quote Originally Posted by georged View Post
    Hi Cine,
    Hello!
    Thank you for your reply. I was looking via Thunderbird, not the web client and the folders were not there either. Looked in the mailbox log and I did not see anywhere the line: "Restoring common items of account". Strange...
    Feel free to send the logs over to community@zextras.com, I'll be glad to have a look at both the mailbox.log and import log and see if there anything wrong going on...

But now I just got a different problem. I tailed the log and after 400K+ messages were imported, the / partition run out of space so the Restore stopped (my fault argh!)...So now

(1) I am going to stop ZImbra, and do: rsync -av /opt/zimbra /home/; ln -s /home/zimbra /opt/zimbra where there is space. Is that aproblem for ZeXtras?
    As long as the new filesystem is case-sensitive and the permissions are not affected there shouldn't be any issue, but I'd use a bind mount instead of a symlink for additional safety...

(2) Run the Restore again. I suspect that it will attempt to load *all* the messages again rather than finish up where it stopped, correct? Is there a way to avoid duplicates or since it will load everything again just remove each account from the Web Admin and then restore each account individually?
    ZeXtras Backup keeps track of all restored items thanks to a mapfile system, so the next restore will skip any item that has already been imported avoiding wasting time and item duplication... Mapfiles are stored in the destination server's backup path - an "account mapper" file in the main directory and an "item mapper" file for each mailbox in the appropriate subdirectory - so make sure you don't change or empty out those directories for a smooth second import...

Thank you,
    George
    You're welcome!

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website

Hi Cine,

Thanks! I will do the bind mount as you suggested now.

I was able to restore just my account and login on the web interface and all my folders are there. However, I am unable to even login or see any of my folders from a mail client (Thunderbird)... I suspect this is a Zimbra issue?

Best,
    George

Hello George!

The login issues might depend on the authentication method used - e.g. the mailbox is set up to authenticate against an external LDAP but is unable to connect to it, or the global/server settings are not correct. Once this is sorted out you should be able to see your data on Thunderbird aswell (at most, you might need to resubscribe your folders)...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website