OLd Server to New Server

Thread: OLd Server to New Server

Question OLd Server to New Server

Hi,

I need to move my current ZCS 8.0.7 from mail.mysite.com ip 172.168.0.18 to newmail.mysite.net ip 172.168.20.18.

I need to use the same server just change the ip and host dns details. As I can afford some downtime as I have a backup mail punt, can I do the following.

1. Using ZxMig export my data
    2. Wipe old server, reinstall with new clean OS and IP and DNS details.
    3. Re-install Zimbra 8.0.7 and Zextras (licenced).
    4. Run ZxRestore
    and voila all is fine? It will now use new IP and Host details?????

Or......

Thanks for any advice.

Kind regards,

jB

Hi jB,

I really don't see the need of migrating your server only for changing hostname (ip is absolutely indipendent for zimbra enviroment), because the local server hostname can differ from your public hostname without any issue, unless you need to communicate with another server that has your old hostname.

If your zimbra system account belong to domain mail.mysite.com (e.g. ham.XXXX@mail.mysite.com) you can easly rename from mysite.com to mysite.net without any problem (see "zmprov -l rd"). You need only to adjust (beyond local ip and dns) is to change the smtp_helo_name setting:
    Code:
    $ zmlocalconfig -e postfix_smtp_helo_name="newmail.mysite.net"
    to reflect your new public hostname and reverse DNS record (PTR). You can also set the zimbraPublicServiceHostname property of all your other zimbra domains (if you have more domains).

My 2 cents.
    D0s0n
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

Hi DOsON,

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.
    My current server has developed a number of features such as using the Admin GUI shows all the status information in red.So I thought as I had to change ip and host details, a clean,fresh install would both correct issues and at the same time give me the opportunity to change hostname and ip address.

Do you recommend I follow your previous reply still?

Much appreciated and thanks,

jB

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello Britesc!

Quote Originally Posted by britesc View Post
    My current server has developed a number of features such as using the Admin GUI shows all the status information in red.So I thought as I had to change ip and host details, a clean,fresh install would both correct issues and at the same time give me the opportunity to change hostname and ip address.
    I'd suggest a trip to the official Zimbra forums before deciding wether or not follow D0s_0n's advice, as the issue you reported is quite common and IIRC can be easily solved (maybe even just with a file permission fix or a stats service restart). As for the "number of features" you mention (which I presume are issues), please be aware that ZeXtras Suite and the ZeXtras Migration Tool are made to work on a healthy and functional Zimbra install, so you might want to search the official forums for any other issue your server has.

Quote Originally Posted by britesc View Post
    Do you recommend I follow your previous reply still?
    This is up to you
    Both alternatives have pros and cons, and you should evaluate both in order to choose which way to go.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery