Breaking news! Telligent acquires Zimbra from VMWare!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By INNOVOT
  • 1 Post By bpb

Thread: Breaking news! Telligent acquires Zimbra from VMWare!

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar

Breaking news! Telligent acquires Zimbra from VMWare!

As stated today by Talligent Systems Inc, Zimbra has been acquired from VMWare with the intention of merging into a whole new company simply called "Zimbra".

Official announcement in the Zimbra Forums: Telligent Acquires Zimbra from VMware
    Talligent Systems Inc. press release: https://telligent.com/company/news/b...om-vmware.aspx
    Article on the Talligent Systems Inc. Blog: The Future of Collaboration Starts Today: Telligent Acquires Zimbra from VMware - The Telligent Blog - News - Telligent

Looks like this is going to be a huge change, what do you think?

Cine
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

Active Member ZeXtras Reseller
    Telligent is a .Net company as far as I've seen in my short search. Hope we're not forced to re-introduce MS servers.

DiQ
    Quote Originally Posted by xternal View Post
    Hope we're not forced to re-introduce MS servers.
    There's no way I'm putting anything MS internet facing.

There's also

The combined company will offer the first, unified social collaboration suite built for the post-PC era
    That's all well and good but most people still use PCs at work, let's hope they don't forget that.

However I am taking this as good news. I've always felt VMWare have neglected Zimbra. For a company to make it it's main focus can only be good.

Active Member ZeXtras Reseller
    Next Zimbra version is not effected by this they say. I'm a bit worried about the open source factor. Telligent was born from 3 open source .Net projects but are closed at the moment. I'm wondering where that leaves Zimbra in the future. We'll just have to wait and see.

DiQ
    Surely to go closed they'll have to write their own versions of all the FOSS software contained in Zimbra. That would be quite some undertaking. They also specifically say

Telligent is committed to being open and will continue to make source code available.

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    I seriously don't think that Telligent is planning to rewrite Zimbra in .net
    Also, Telligent stated that the Source Code for "Zimbra Open Source Edition" will still be available and that the target is to bring Zimbra "back to its roots as an independent collaboration software leader with a vibrant open source community". Also, as stated in the Blog article I linked: "[Telligent] remain committed to serving our customers, partners, employees and open source community."

Seen the "distance" between Telligent's technology and Zimbra's, we think the most probable outcome not to be a "merge" but an "integration" between Telligent's current products and offer and Zimbra.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

Senior Member Known ZeXtras Reseller
    I completely agree Cine and it could bring some exciting developments. What I would love to see from ZeXtras though is accelerated development on the XMPP integration for chat. Am sure that will be on Telligents roadmap for Zimbra so if you could get there first it could be good for all
    d0s0n likes this.

The CEO ZeXtras Employee
    Participant
    Quote Originally Posted by INNOVOT View Post
    What I would love to see from ZeXtras though is accelerated development on the XMPP integration for chat. Am sure that will be on Telligents roadmap for Zimbra so if you could get there first it could be good for all
    Hi Innovot !
    I can guarantee that we already have accelerated the XMPP development !
    We have just release a fantastic ZeXtras Suite 1.8.9 with EAS 14 Support ! Is was been a HUGE work .
    Now we are fully committed to XMPP for ZeXtras CHAT and we will release it in the next releases ! WE WILL BE THE FIRST, FOR SURE !
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

ZeXtras CEO. Like a Boss.

Senior Member Known ZeXtras Reseller
    Hello Zeus,

Appreciate you taking the time out to respond.

That is indeed fantastic news as it is one of the final jigsaw puzzle pieces. Allowing our clients to chat both internally and externally is very import; it has become a virtual typaphone

Looking forward to the first release.

bpb
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    We have just release a fantastic ZeXtras Suite 1.8.9 with EAS 14 Support ! Is was been a HUGE work .
    The EAS 14 support is great! Exactly the functionality I was looking for! Glad ZeXtras will be on board with the future of Zimbra.
    d0s0n likes this.

LinkBacks (?)