Zimbra 8.5.0 and ZeXtras Suite: Important News
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Zimbra 8.5.0 and ZeXtras Suite: Important News

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar

Zimbra 8.5.0 and ZeXtras Suite: Important News

Hello everybody!

As you might have noticed, Zimbra 8.5.0 is now available for download in the official Zimbra website.
    This is a very important milestone, on an equal footing as a major release, and ZeXtras won't fall behind

In this post I'd like to share with you some interesting info about the next releases and a couple of new features that have been brewing in our Dev Team's cauldron in the latest months.

I can hear you all asking one and one question only - and actually some of you did - so first things first:
    When will a new ZeXtras Suite version, compatible with Zimbra 8.5.0, be released?

Answer: AVAILABLE AS OF SEPTEMBER 10th

Some of our long-time friends might notice one or two strange things about my last statement, specifically:
    - I didn't mention the "legendary" version 2.0 - which is still scheduled for Q4/2014.
    - The middle version number is Odd.

This is because Zimbra 1.9.0 will be a Public Beta version that will mark the beginning of the move to a new design architecture: the most radical change in our software's architecture is going to take place in the next weeks, as we are moving away from the canonical "Core + Zimlet" model you all know and love by adding a new component - the ZAL.

What is the ZAL?
    The ZAL is an Abstraction Layer between Zimbra and ZeXtras Suite/ZxMig (and more... see below ).

Technical mumbo-jumbo:
    Up until now, each ZeXtras Suite release consisted of differently built packages for each supported Zimbra version: each package was specifically built for a Zimbra version and could only be functional on such Zimbra version, being unable to communicate with any other version of the mailboxd service.
    With the addition of the ZAL the ZeXtras Core will be completely separeted from the mailboxd service, and the new component will be the link between the two.

Not-remotely-technical mumbo-jumbo:
    Think about each different Zimbra version as a person speaking a different language: before the introduction of the ZAL in order for ZeXtras Suite to communicate with Zimbra one of many ZeXtras Suite cores, the one speaking the correct language, was needed.
    In the future, the ZAL will act as an universal translator - thus eliminating the need of having different ZeXtras Suite cores speaking different languages.

This new component will allows us to add some very interesting features, such as a lightweight installer, live updates and automated hotfix deployment.

BUT

There's more of it.

The ZAL won't be a Zextras exclusive!
    This new component will be open source and released under GNU GPLv2 - so that any developer will be able to interface its software with Zimbra through it in a completely version-independent way.
    This means than anyone will be able to write ZAL-compatible code that will run on any Zimbra server, regardless of the version (as usual Zimbra 6.0.7+ is required).

To sum up
    The ZeXtras Suite "1.8" branch is still maintained, and is compatible with all Zimbra versions from 6.0.7 to 8.0.x.
    The ZeXtras Suite "1.9" beta branch will only be compatible with Zimbra 8.5.x and will feature the ZAL component.
    The ZeXtras Suite "1.10" branch will be released after the beta stage (1.9) is completed, and will extend the new architecture to all Zimbra versions from 6.0.7 to 8.5.x.
    The ZeXtras Suite "2.0" branch will be released during Q4/2014. No devs have been harmed during the development of this new branch but please, pleeeease, don't ask for a release date if you wish to keep it this way.

Get ready guys, this is going to be a ride to remember!

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras team
    Last edited by Cine; 09-10-2014 at 07:21 PM. Reason: ZeXtras Suite 1.9.0 released
    xternal likes this.
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

I promise not to ask about 2.0 release date.
    But do I understand this correctly that 1.9 is generally not meant to be used on production servers? In this case, how do you plan the beta phase?

Sorry, I meant how long

Just a quick question about licensing, I have a perpetual license for Zextras for Zimbra 8. Will my license work with Zimbra 8.5?

Hello guys!

Quote Originally Posted by vinzenz View Post
    I promise not to ask about 2.0 release date.
    ... and the devs are really grateful about it

Quote Originally Posted by vinzenz View Post
    But do I understand this correctly that 1.9 is generally not meant to be used on production servers? In this case, how do you plan the beta phase?
    ZeXtras Suite 1.9.0 will actually be fairly stable, as the main core was not that much affected, but meant for test environments nonetheless because of both the ZAL and of any "teething trouble" that might affect the newest Zimbra release.
    If no huge catastrophe arises, the testing/fixing of 1.9.0 should last 2 or 3 weeks.

Message to all users: Your feedbacks will be very important to shorten the duration of the beta stage, so fire up those test VMs

Quote Originally Posted by nicko View Post
    Just a quick question about licensing, I have a perpetual license for Zextras for Zimbra 8. Will my license work with Zimbra 8.5?
    Sure! Perpetual licenses are based on Zimbra's major version, which is still "8".

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    Last edited by Cine; 08-28-2014 at 03:24 PM.
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website

So, would we be able to use a backup created with version 1.8 to migrate to an 8.5 server with 1.9? Or do we have to wait until 1.10 is available for all platforms?

Hello!

Quote Originally Posted by emoon3 View Post
    So, would we be able to use a backup created with version 1.8 to migrate to an 8.5 server with 1.9? Or do we have to wait until 1.10 is available for all platforms?
    As with any ZeXtras Suite version, 1.9.0 will be fully backwards compatible - so you'll be able to import any 1.8.x dataset on a Zimbra 8.5 server running 1.9.x.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website

Hi there,

Will the release of 1.9 be publicly visible or only for specific beta accepting customers? I am ready to test and so want to know if it will be informed about in this forum or independently based on a certain opt-in.

... with no intention to harm any devs.

Quote Originally Posted by miteshpc View Post
    Hi there,

Will the release of 1.9 be publicly visible or only for specific beta accepting customers? I am ready to test and so want to know if it will be informed about in this forum or independently based on a certain opt-in.
    Hello miteshpc!

ZeXtras Suite 1.9.0 (and all releases in the 1.9.x branch) will be publicly available via the ZeXtras website as soon as released!

Quote Originally Posted by miteshpc View Post
    ... with no intention to harm any devs.
    The devs are indeed thankful for this

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website

Hello everybody!

Just a quick warning to all of you running Zimbra 8.5.0: a patch has been released by Zimbra to fix 2 issues, one of which is to be considered Critical.
    More info on THIS THREAD.

This issues affect build 3040 of Zimbra 8.5.0, while build 3042 is unaffected.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    miteshpc likes this.
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast