Zextras Migration Tool in multiserver
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Zextras Migration Tool in multiserver

Zextras Migration Tool in multiserver

Hello Forum,

I have 3 separated servers: mta, ldap and mailbox (webmail) on zimbra version 6.0.9, i would like to use de zextras migration tool for my migration to the new zimbra 8.0.5, the problem is that zextras can not install on the mta and ldap server, it can only install on my mailbox server.

The idea is to migrate these separate servers(ldap,mta and mailbox) on zimbra 6.0.9 to another separates server (ldap,mta and mailbox) on zimbra 8.0.5, so i have the following questions:

1. how is the process to install the zextras on each source server?
    2. can i mount an external HDD on my source server and set there the /backup/migration folder and then mount this HDD on the destination server for restore that migration?

Regards.

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SysAdm View Post
    Hello Forum,
    Hello SysAdm,
    welcome to the forums!

I have 3 separated servers: mta, ldap and mailbox (webmail) on zimbra version 6.0.9, i would like to use de zextras migration tool for my migration to the new zimbra 8.0.5, the problem is that zextras can not install on the mta and ldap server, it can only install on my mailbox server.

The idea is to migrate these separate servers(ldap,mta and mailbox) on zimbra 6.0.9 to another separates server (ldap,mta and mailbox) on zimbra 8.0.5, so i have the following questions:

1. how is the process to install the zextras on each source server?
    ZeXtras Suite and the ZeXtras Migration Tool must only be installed on servers running the mailboxd service. There is no difference in migrating from a single-server infrastructure and from a single-store multiserver infrastructure: you'll just need to manually set up the destination infrastructure and then to import the data exported from the old server to the new one using the "External Restore" feature of ZeXtras Suite.

The following items and configs will be migrated:
    User data (emails, address books, calendars, tasks, briefcases, share informations,ZeXtras Chat buddy lists)
    User preferences
    User settings
    Distribution Lists
    Resource Accounts
    Domains
    Classes of Service

2. can i mount an external HDD on my source server and set there the /backup/migration folder and then mount this HDD on the destination server for restore that migration?
    Yes, as any storage device that can be mounted on the server and have a case-sensitive filesystem can be used as the 'ferry store', but let me warn you that there is a very high chance for the export and import procedures to be painfully slow this way.
    If you wish to use an external drive for your migration I'd suggest you to perform an Incremental Migration following the guide you can find at ZxBackup: Incremental migration with ZeXtras Backup - ZeXtras Suite Wiki. This way you'll minimize the downtime and the nuisance for your users.

Regards.
    Have a nice day!
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    Last edited by Cine; 10-18-2013 at 02:57 PM.
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

Hello Cine,

Thank you very much for your suggestions, i am going to use the incremental migration and the results will be posted here.

Regards.

Hello Cine,

I want to do the full backup with the command "zxsuite backup doFullScan" on the source server and send through the network this backup to the destination server, is that possible? because i dont have space left on the source server.

Regards.

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello SysAdm!

As mentioned HERE, you can choose to transfer your data in any way that suits your needs...
    The quickest way to solve your disk space situation, IMHO, would be to use sshfs to mount a path in the destination server on the source one: this way, as soon as the fullScan is completed the data will be available on the destination server.
    The only downside is that this method is highly affected by the connection speed between the two servers, so if the process takes too long it might be worth considering some other alternatives (e.g. freeing up some space on the server or using an external USB3/eSATA drive as a ferry store).

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

Hi cine,

Thanks for your clarification. Now i am doing the backup for domain which has a size of 33 GB, i see that the "zxsuite backup doExport" compressed to 19 GB, this compression process took 3 hours and 22 minutes, and later, the restore process is taking 20 hours and 34 minutes and still running, i think the export and restore processes are too slow. Is there a way to speed up these process?

The destination server, where i am restoring, has 8 cpu (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2643 0 @ 3.30GHz) and 64 GB RAM so i want to give the full use to these resources.

Regards.

Hi SysAdm,

are you sure that the import is proceeding?

You can monitor your operation from CLI:
    Code:
    zxsuite backup monitor {operation-uid}
    If you are using a local disk as ferry storage, there are no reasons to take 20 hours for only 20Gb of import path, just 2 hour should suffice.
    Maybe you are experiencing a problem fixed in last zextras release as stated in the changelog:

Fixed an issue that could cause an "External Restore" to get stuck in a loop when importing a specific kind of "wikidocument" item (discontinued in Zimbra 7.x and newer).
    Fixed an issue that could cause an "External Restore" to get stuck in a loop when importing an address book item containing a specific kind of image.
    So, what version are you using?
    Note that you can update the suite without re-exporting, infact there are no fix on exporting side, only on import operation.

D0s0n
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

Hello d0s0n,

Since yesterday i execute the command "tail -f /opt/zimbra/log/zextras_ZxBackup_ExternalRestore_e95aca9c-ca0f-4d29-91cd-c7130065e1c0.log" and i see the process still running:

2013-10-23 15:05:32,996 INFO Adding item 281472 => 2077
    2013-10-23 15:05:32,997 DEBUG Restoring item 1927
    2013-10-23 15:06:33,47 INFO Adding item 1927 => 2078
    2013-10-23 15:06:33,47 DEBUG Restoring item 1926
    2013-10-23 15:07:33,129 INFO Adding item 1926 => 2079
    2013-10-23 15:07:33,130 DEBUG Restoring item 1925
    2013-10-23 15:08:33,227 INFO Adding item 1925 => 2080
    2013-10-23 15:08:33,228 DEBUG Restoring item 1924

I am using the zextras_suite-1.8.10, so i must update the zextras version, but, i will lost the restore operation?

Regards.

If the operation is still proceeding, you didn't encounter any import problem, so your issue is on another side.

What disk storage are you using? Maybe that is your bottleneck... check also your disk performances with "iostat" command.

Anyway, you can stop your import operation with zxbackup zimlet button "Stop all backup operation" or by CLI with "zxsuite backup doStopAllOperations". You will not lose any progress by stopping the import process if you keep all map files store in your backup path.

D0s0n
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

Hi d0s0n,

i stopped the restore operation as you mentioned and then update to zextras_suite-1.8.11 on my destination server, later i renew the restore operation and it is proceeding but it is too slow yet, also i see Warnings/Errors in one account after renew the restore process, i have been monitoring the progress with zxsuite backup monitor, details of this:

--
    Operation log path: /opt/zimbra/log/zextras_ZxBackup_ExternalRestore_9616b4c3-f33e-4f92-bdca-0fd015060155.log
    Warnings/Errors: 75/1
    Restored Accounts(only attributes): 75/75
    Restored Accounts(common items): 17/75
    Restored Accounts(only shared & datasources): 0/75
    Current Account: account@domain.com
    Restored/Skipped Items: 1646/22197
    Unrestored Items: 0

--
    Operation log path: /opt/zimbra/log/zextras_ZxBackup_ExternalRestore_9616b4c3-f33e-4f92-bdca-0fd015060155.log
    Warnings/Errors: 75/1
    Restored Accounts(only attributes): 75/75
    Restored Accounts(common items): 17/75
    Restored Accounts(only shared & datasources): 0/75
    Current Account: account@domain.com
    Restored/Skipped Items: 1646/22197
    Unrestored Items: 0

The restored items are taking so much time like 6-8 minutes per item, is that right?, the output executing iostat is:

avg-cpu: %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
    1.12 0.26 0.20 0.01 0.00 98.42

Device: tps Blk_read/s Blk_wrtn/s Blk_read Blk_wrtn
    sda 4.94 2.16 236.33 1597246 175102557
    dm-0 0.00 0.00 0.00 2592 0
    dm-1 2.49 0.88 19.77 652458 14651560
    dm-2 24.58 1.23 216.56 913458 160450968

Please your comments, it will be helpful.

Thanks and regards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast