Installation Help (Mac OSX)

Thread: Installation Help (Mac OSX)

Installation Help (Mac OSX)

I'm trying to install Zextras Mobile on an unsupported platform. MacOSX Server 10.4 with Zimbra OS 6.0.15 installed. I've gotten pretty far, but I've run into a road block, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

First off, the install script doesn't work on OSX, so I installed the core and the zimlet manually. I extracted the tarball and pulled the zextras.jar (core) and com_zextras_zextras.zip (zimlet) files from the 6.0.15 folder.

The zimlet was easy enough to install. I did it through the Zimbra admin console. For the core, I dug through the scripts to try and figure out what the install scripts did to install and configure the core and Zimbra. From there, I created a folder /opt/zimbra/lib/ext/zextras/ and put zextras.jar in it. Then I changed ownership and permissions of the folder and its contents to "zimbra" and "755".

To load the .jar file, I added "zextras" as an extension in the zmjava file. That loads the .jar file from the /ext/zextras/ folder.

After restarting, everything seems great on the backend. I have the Zextras panels in the sidebar of the administration console. I can go into a user and I have the zextras tab and can give a user mobile access. When I try to add an exchange account on an iPhone, after entering the account, everything initially checks out fine. Username and password, server, etc. But that's as far as I can get.

When I go into mail, I get an error that it can't connect with the server. What am I missing?

The only thing I can find that I haven't done is in regard to the .jar file. The end of the exec lines in zxtools and zxsuite contain "com.zextras.ZxSuite" and "com.zextras.ZxSuiteCLI" respectively. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with those.

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello BeKindRewind,
    welcome to the forums!

Regarding the "manual" installation on Mac OSX, you don't actually need to edit the zmjava file, as extensions in the /opt/zimbra/lib/ext/* folder are automatically loaded by Zimbra.
    The only thing you need to do is to copy the "zxsuite" file included in the packages/ folder of the ZeXtras package into the /opt/zimbra/bin folder (adjusting the permissions so that it's owned by the Zimbra user). This will allow you to use the ZeXtras CLI.

About your mobile issues, please check the /opt/zimbra/log/sync.log and /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log files for any exceptions and feel free to post the results here.
    Also, make sure that SSL support is enabled on your Zimbra server if trying to synchronize your device through SSL (ZxMobile Admin Guide - ZeXtras Suite Wiki).

Have a nice day,
    Cine

P.s.: Out of curiosity, what errors did you encounter while running the ZeXtras Installer on OSX?

Thanks for getting back to me so fast! I've got it installed on a separate startup drive on a production machine, so I'll have to wait until tonight to give it a try. I'm not using SSL, and so I have SSL unchecked iPhone settings.

As for the errors during installation, running the script as root, it finds the Zimbra install but then returns "Variable CORE_VERSION undefined" and quits. I edited the install script to bypass that part of the payload check, which gets me further, but then it quits again after a few more steps. I can't remember exactly where though. That's when I gave up on the script and started to install it myself.

Thanks again for the help. I'm excited. I've been using Z-Push, but it's a far-from-perfect solution.

You are welcome!

Keep us up to date, and should you find any errors in the sync.log take a look at ZxMobile Troubleshooting - ZeXtras Suite Wiki to see how to improve your troubleshooting by using the Account Logger feature.
    I suggest you to delete the account both from the phone and the "Registered Device" list in the ZeXtras Administration Zimlet before adding the logger and then reconfigure the phone and repeat the first sync.

Have a nice day,
    Cine

I tried adding zxsuite file to /opt/zimbra/bin and changed ownership to the zimbra user (also tried it as root) and I get the same problem. At first the settings are accepted, but when I try to send and receive mail on the device, I get a "Cannot Connect to Server" error.

I pulled the error messages from the sync.log file.

2012-07-02 18:48:35,432 INFO [btpool0-0://mail.alsoaverb.com/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync] [tid=14;] sync - [184.167.165.136] ZxMobile device Apple-iPhone4C1/902.206 asking for server configuration
    2012-07-02 18:48:37,928 INFO [btpool0-0://mail.alsoaverb.com/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync] [tid=14;] sync - [184.167.165.136] ZxMobile device Apple-iPhone4C1/902.206 asking for server configuration
    2012-07-02 18:48:38,118 FATAL [ZxMobile Handler Thread] [tid=407;] sync - ZxMobile Handler: Criticial Throwable Exception: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.lang.String.isEmpty()Z
    at com.zextras.mobile.ZEMobileHandler.authenticate(ZE MobileHandler.java:133)
    at com.zextras.mobile.ZEMobileHandler.managePost(ZEMo bileHandler.java:250)
    at com.zextras.mobile.ZEMobileHandler.run(ZEMobileHan dler.java:362)

2012-07-02 18:48:38,254 FATAL [ZxMobile Handler Thread] [tid=408;] sync - ZxMobile Handler: Criticial Throwable Exception: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.lang.String.isEmpty()Z

2012-07-02 18:48:57,133 FATAL [ZxMobile Handler Thread] [tid=411;] sync - ZxMobile Handler: Criticial Throwable Exception: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.lang.String.isEmpty()Z

2012-07-02 18:48:57,379 FATAL [ZxMobile Handler Thread] [tid=412;] sync - ZxMobile Handler: Criticial Throwable Exception: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.lang.String.isEmpty()Z
    Last edited by BeKindRewind; 07-03-2012 at 03:03 AM.

Hello BeKindRewind.

I had a talk with the devs and the issue is caused by the version of the Java Virtual Machine used by Zimbra on Mac OSX (version 1.5 instead of 1.6). This version lacks some of the classes and methods needed by ZeXtras Suite, hence the "No Such Method" exception.

We'll try to build a custom version of ZeXtras Suite for your particular case, but let me warn you that it will be a one-shot build that will allow you to evaluate the product.

Please consider migrating to a different platform as Mac OSX isn't going to be supported anymore when Zimbra 6 goes EOL. ZeXtras Backup can help you with such migration, feel free to email me anytime at community@zextras.com for a trial extension should your free trial time run out before your evaluation is completed.

Have a nice day,
    Cine

That makes sense. I actually have Java 1.6 on this machine, but it isn't used as the default. I'll try changing that tonight and see if that gets me anywhere. Thanks again for the help.

I've got Java 1.5 and 1.6 on this machine, but I've been trying for days and I can't get ZCS to run on Java 1.6. It seems that on the Mac, it's tied to version 1.5. Any attempts to force it to run on 1.6 force ZCS to fail on startup.

Oh well. Thanks for all the help. I really do appreciate it.