Backing up suggestions for the ZxBackup

Thread: Backing up suggestions for the ZxBackup

Question Backing up the ZxBackup Backup Path questions

I am using ZxBackup and the local filesystem for my Backup Path on my mail server (mail:/opt/zimbra/backup/zextras). Is there a suggestion about how to handle system backups? We back up online, to an NFS file system.

• Should I put a cronjob to regularly rsync the contents of mail:/opt/zimbra/backup/zextras to the NFS filesystem and how often should I run this? Is rsync -while the server is running- going to leave the backup in an unknown state and make it un-restorable?
    • Should I just depend on the regular (tar and rsync based) filesystem backups (weekly full, daily incremental)? Will I be able to recover "rolling-up" incrementals to the latest full or I can restore only from the latest full backup?

Thank you!
    George
    Last edited by georged; 12-11-2020 at 12:32 AM.

mik
    Hi George,

I am doing the same for disaster recovery purposes.

My opinion:
    How often you should rsync depends on whether the Real Time Scanner is running and how large or dependend this is for your organization.
    I do not do full/incements, but have btrfs snapshots on the target backup device and simply rsync (mirror) over and over...

Good luck!

Thank you Mik!

Unfortunately, I can't use BTRFS because I am writing to a shared partition of an NFS filesystem that I don't fully control (or dictate) the type of filesystem it is using.

I am running Real Time Scanner (RTS) so I will need to smarten-up my backup script, stop RTS, make an External Backup and then restart the Real Time Scanner and SmartScan. I guess, I don't need to have the mail server down, correct? Is that what you are doing?

Best,
    George

Gil
    Moderator Participant
    Hello George,

at the moment you can safely rsync the backup directory (default /opt/zimbra/backup/zextras) while the server is running, there is no good reason to stop the real time scanner.
    Gil - Zextras Technical Support Engineering
    https://support.zextras.com