Zextras for Zimbra 8.0.8 ?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JoeKar

Thread: Zextras for Zimbra 8.0.8 ?

Question Zextras for Zimbra 8.0.8 ?

Hello,
    I'm trying to install the last version of Zextras (1.8.17) on Zimbra 8.0.8 (zcs-8.0.8_GA_6038) running on FreeBSD 9.2.
    I know that my platform is not supported, but it was reported to work.
    Unfortunately, there is no 8.0.8 version of Zextras in the zextras_suite-latest.tgz package, and the 8.0.7 version (forced to install) does not work on 8.0.8 (installed OK - jar files are present in /opt/zimbra/lib/ext folder, but does not work - "unknown document: zextras" in mailbox.log).
    Does any 8.0.8 version of Zextras exist? Would it be possible to test it?
    Or maybe someone has any suggestion to get 8.0.7 version of Zextras working on Zimbra 8.0.8?

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello Peter2121,
    welcome to the forums!

Each ZeXtras Suite package contains .jar files built ad-hoc for each supported Zimbra version, and thus the 8.0.7 jar is not compatible with Zimbra 8.0.8 (along with the version check within the installer there is a hardcoded check that won't load the extension on any version except the one for which it was specifically built).

A ZeXtras Suite version compatible with Zimbra 8.0.8 will be released soon after the official release of such Zimbra version - usually within 72 hours.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Quote Originally Posted by Cine View Post
    A ZeXtras Suite version compatible with Zimbra 8.0.8 will be released soon after the official release of such Zimbra version - usually within 72 hours.
    Thanks for your answer, Cine.

The problem is that the version 8.5.0 of Zimbra is released already (btw, I did not see Zextras for this version )
    So probably 8.0.8 will never be released. The version 8.0.7 for FreeBSD is outdated (was never compiled with current patches) and 8.5.0 is not actually available (there are some porting problems, as usual).
    Does it mean that I'll not be able to use Zextras on 8.0.8?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter2121 View Post
    Thanks for your answer, Cine.
    You're welcome!

The problem is that the version 8.5.0 of Zimbra is released already (btw, I did not see Zextras for this version )
    You are indeed correct, but 8.5.0 is far to be a simple minor release... Plus there are some interesting changes brewing: here's an official announcement HERE about this topic

So probably 8.0.8 will never be released.
    I'm not really sure about this: while Zimbra 7.x is now past the date of "End of general support", Zimbra 8.x will reach that date on October 31st, 2015 and 8.0.8 release is still mentioned in Zimbra's PM and Bugzilla... I'm not being stubborn here, just optimistic!

The version 8.0.7 for FreeBSD is outdated (was never compiled with current patches) and 8.5.0 is not actually available (there are some porting problems, as usual).
    Does it mean that I'll not be able to use Zextras on 8.0.8?
    If any official news about Zimbra 8.0.8 not being released will show up we might build an "unsupported" 8.0.8 jar, but this would have a very low priority compared to the development/testing/improvement of 1.9.x and the release of 1.10.0, so I highly doubt that the devs will be able to work on it before 1.10.0 has been released...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Cine,
    Thanks a lot for all this info.
    I just would like to be informed here, in this topic, about eventual availability of 8.0.8 version - supported or unsupported
    Good luck in 8.5 development, hope to see it on FreeBSD one day!

Hello Peter!

I'd suggest you to subscribe to the RSS feed of the "News and Announcements" section of the forums, in which all official announcements are always posted, to make sure you don't miss it out

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Hello Cine,

there is the 8.0.8 GA Realease now: Zimbra Collaboration - Open Source Edition Downloads

But Zextras still isnīt kompatible?

Checking for existing installations ...

FOUND Zimbra 8.0.8

Core Package file packages/8.0.8/zextras.jar missing! Exiting...
    Most likely your Zimbra version is not yet supported by this install package.

When will you release a zextras.jar that supports 8.0.8?

KR Johannes

Hello Johannes!

We are releasing ZeXtras Suite 1.8.18, which is compatible with Zimbra 8.0.8 in this exact moment - should be done in 30 to 60 minutes

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    Last edited by Cine; 10-01-2014 at 05:19 PM.

Phew, perfekt timing!
    Was already fearing to be without zextras!

KR Johannes
    d0s0n likes this.