preparing new Zmbra server for Migration

Thread: preparing new Zmbra server for Migration

preparing new Zmbra server for Migration

Hello,

I want to use your Suite to migrate my Ubuntu 8.04 32bit Zimbra 7.1.3 installation to a new Server running Ubuntu 10.04 64bit(same Zimbra version 7.1.3 64bit though)

I understand your software and how to install and use it, thank you for making it simple and the great youtube videos.

I have installed a fresh install of Ubuntu 10.04 64b and the Zimbra 7.1.3 on my test server and did a practice migration and the first issue I see after using your Suite is that i'm unsure of how to get an exact 1:1 migration (accounts, server settings, COS, forwards, etc)

when you install Zimbra it needs a domain to make the "Master" for admin@no and I can't delete it after the migration. I would just perfer to have my example.net as the master for sign in reasons like not having to supply the full email address to sign into webmail

also i'm wondering if your program will import the Server settings like RBL's, MTA settings, spam settings, POP settings, etc

maybe I need to install Zimbra with ./install.sh -s I don't know

I have been following this guide:
    Zimbra :: Blog

and i'm not sure what steps need to be done adding your Suite into the mix

on my test server after migration I get errors in the Admin page under "Server Settings" exception during Auth

sorry so long winded but I am nervous about making this happen

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello Greg, and welcome to the forums!

The first advice I can give you is the Golden Rule of Migrations: Take your time
    Read docs carefully, surf the Zimbra and ZeXtras forums and try to learn about all the steps you are going to perform.

Now, into the technical part:
    The guide you linked is the 'standard' guide to move your Zimbra Installation. While this is a very good guide it has a downside: Using this guide your mail server will be unavailable to your users for quite some time.
    Using ZeXtras Migration Tool you can obtain the same result keeping your mail service always available to your users (actually they might not even notice you migrated your server.)

The steps you need to follow in order to migrate to another server with ZeXtras Suite are the following:

1) Install ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Source (old) server
    2)
    Install Zimbra and ZeXtras Suite on the Destination (new) server
    3) Make sure you have a suitable storage for the migration:
    • The storage must be roughly the same size of the /opt/zimbra/store folder on the Source server.
    • It must be easy to connect to both servers - if running on a virtualized environment create a new vdisk attach it to the Source machine and mount it, if on a real server mounting via NFS might be your best shot (or an USB disk).
    • The faster, the better - consider that the export phase will be 100% write operations and the import operations will be 100%read operations.
    4) Start the migration on the Source server
    5) Once the export phase is done, attach the storage to the destination server
    6) Start the import procedure
    7) Once the import procedure is done, switch your DNS records to point to the new machine.

Now the situation is the following:
    • The Source server contains all data (mail, calendars, settings, etc..) arrived till the DNS switch
    • The Destination server contains all data arrived till the beginning of the migration
    • New mail is flowing to the new server

Re-attach the store to the source server and repeat steps 4 to 6 using THE SAME path as the first migration. This will perform an incremental migration that will move all the missing data from the Source server to the Destination.

As for your other concerns:

- The Default Domain can be changed at anytime from the Zimbra Administration Console (Global Settings -> General -> Default Domain).

- ZeXtras Migration Tool migrates the following settings:
    • Account Preferences
    • Account Settings
    • Domain Settings
    • Server Settings

Global Settings, such as Protocol Checks, RBLs and POP/IMAP configuration, are not imported.

Feel free to ask any further questions you might have..

Have a nice day and good luck with your migration!

Cine

Thank you very much Cine for the detailed reply, I will post back with update soon as I can!

hi I'm back with an update as promised!

the Migration is done and your tools helped tremendously!

I did run into some troubles

when i tried to run the incremental migration it said "error: folder is not empty". so i gave up on that and did it over the weekend and i'll just deal with the missing emails, no big deal for my situation.

I also noticed that the backup path for Zxbackup must be the same as the path when you click on "Import Backup" for it to work. I don't recall the error but it was something like path not found

the restore itself took about 4 hours on my server, 8gig backup file, 60ish accounts

my web clients worked perfectly when all was done, when my Outlook/POP3 clients connected it forced them to redownload and duplicated all there email

overall your suite was a life saver and will use again if the need arised

unfortunately we will not be buying your full product, should I uninstall the Suite now? is it ./install.sh -u ?

thanks again!

oh yeah and I just got this email

WARNING: The server seems overloaded, RedoLog operations are being executed too slowly.
    This might be a temporary spike, please keep an eye on the server load.
    If the situation persists, consider to disable the ZeXtras Real Time Scanner until the server load is normalized.
    This is a one-time warning sent by ZeXtras Suite, and no additional notifications about this problem will be sent until the next Zimbra restart.
    I didn't realize it was doing a real time backup, how is that going to work with the Trial license? will it just stop working in 30 days? im confused on why I should remove the Suite now?

oh just remembed to add that Zimbra IM buddies did not get exported/imported just FYI

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello Greg.

Thanks for the report.. We are aware that IM buddies are not exported/imported, it's somewhat of a "secondary" function that will be added to ZeXtras Suite in the future.

Regarding the real-time backup during trial: yes, after the trial expires all modules of ZeXtras Suite will be deactivated until a valid license is provided (or the software is uninstalled).

To uninstall ZeXtras Suite, enter the installer directory you unpacked on your server and run
    Code:
    ./install.sh -u all
    to uninstall both the ZeXtras Core and Zimlet.

Have a nice day,
    Cine