high cpu load with zimbra + centos
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: high cpu load with zimbra + centos

Member ZeXtras Reseller
    Participant

high cpu load with zimbra + centos

Hi,

I have installed zimbra on centos6.3, and ran it fine for 2-3 days. Now java process is taking up 100-300% of cpu and zimbra web client and admin interface is not loading up. A restart of zimbra makes things ok for a few mins, and then again the same issue reappears.

The only change i see happened is use of imapsync to sync mails from older server. Whenever imapsync runs, java process starts taking up too much cpu and everything else just slows down. I have shutdown imapsync, but even then the issue of web client and admin interface not loading is still happening.

This is the process which i see getting stuck and consuming resources

zimbra 10253 257 37.0 11461116 2989240 ? Sl 20:37 11:27 \_ /opt/zimbra/java/bin/java -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -server -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dsun.net.inetaddr.ttl=60 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:PermSize=128m -XX:MaxPermSize=350m -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=1 -verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:+PrintGCApplicationStoppedTime -XX:-OmitStackTraceInFastThrow -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Xss256k -Xms1971m -Xmx1971m -Xmn492m -Djava.io.tmpdir=/opt/zimbra/mailboxd/work -Djava.library.path=/opt/zimbra/lib -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/opt/zimbra/mailboxd/common/endorsed -Dzimbra.config=/opt/zimbra/conf/localconfig.xml -Djetty.home=/opt/zimbra/mailboxd -DSTART=/opt/zimbra/mailboxd/etc/start.config -jar /opt/zimbra/mailboxd/start.jar OPTIONS=Server,jsp,jmx,resources,websocket,ext,jta ,plus,rewrite,setuid /opt/zimbra/mailboxd/etc/jetty.properties /opt/zimbra/mailboxd/etc/jetty-setuid.xml /opt/zimbra/mailboxd/etc/jetty.xml

Zimbra Version: Release 8.0.2_GA_5569.RHEL6_64_20121210115059 CentOS6_64 FOSS edition

Centos 6.3

No. of Users: 290

Server Config: Dual Quad Core, 8GB RAM (KVM instance), RAID 10 on the base machine.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello anandi!

Some sparse questions...
    - Is it just the CPU usage spiking up or can you also see RAM/Swap usage or IO performances raising to an alarming level?
    - How many IMAPsync processes are you running at the same time?
    - Any "abnormal" mail activity? IIRC the most cpu-intensive component is amavisd, so a very high mailflow - e.g: a compromised account is being used to send thousands of spam emails - can cause this, especially on Zimbra 8.0.2 (Bug 79585: Antivirus launched twice on outgoing mails).
    - Is ZeXtras Suite installed on the server?

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

Member ZeXtras Reseller
    Participant

Hi Cine,

Replies to your questions:

1. I don't see much of RAM usage. There is no swap usage. Looking at iotop shows little IO happening.

total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 7869 3812 4057 0 26 578
    -/+ buffers/cache: 3206 4662
    Swap: 8190 0 8190

2. No imapsync is running, i shut it down.
    3. No abnormal mail activity in progress. Its 10:00pm here, and there are hardly any users. Further, when i restart the server / zimbra, it starts to work for few mins before again causing timeout errors.
    4. Yes zextras suite is installed. Since GUI is not working, is there a commandline method to disable it ? This way i can check just to be sure if zextras is not causing issues.

Could it be that zextras backup is backing up / working on the new mails i imported via imapsync ? Just thinking...

Thanks

Member ZeXtras Reseller
    Participant

Looking at /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log, i see a lot of sqltrace - slow execution messages:

sqltrace - Slow execution (15435ms): UPDATE mailbox SET item_id_checkpoint = 719, contact_count = 25, change_checkpoint = 3200, size_checkpoint = 29527373, new_messages = 35 WHERE id = 188

Can this be the reason ?

Quote Originally Posted by anandi View Post
    Looking at /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log, i see a lot of sqltrace - slow execution messages:

sqltrace - Slow execution (15435ms): UPDATE mailbox SET item_id_checkpoint = 719, contact_count = 25, change_checkpoint = 3200, size_checkpoint = 29527373, new_messages = 35 WHERE id = 188

Can this be the reason ?
    Hello anandi!

This is very likely to be a side effect, not a cause...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website

Member ZeXtras Reseller
    Participant

Ok. Any other suggestions to resolve this ? How do i switch off Zextras from command line ?

Quote Originally Posted by anandi View Post
    Ok. Any other suggestions to resolve this ? How do i switch off Zextras from command line ?
    Hello Anandi!

In order to uninstall the ZeXtras Core simply run the installer with the "-u core" option. This will remove the ZeXtras Core.

However, I'm afraid this is not the cause of the issue... In order to further help you I'd need you to answer the questions I asked a couple of posts back...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website

Member ZeXtras Reseller
    Participant

Hi Cine,

I already replied to the questions, please see. Let me know if anything else needs to be answered.

Thanks

Hello Anandi!

Visiting the Zimbra Forums I saw your thread: high cpu load with zimbra + centos

I'm really glad you solved the problem and that, as expected, ZeXtras Suite was not the cause...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website

Member ZeXtras Reseller
    Participant

Hi Cine,

Thanks. Yes i am glad as well that it wasn't zextras causing the extra load. However i am still getting a small error of proxy not found when i go to web client -> contacts -> distribution lists. Any ideas what could be causing it ?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast