Just a few questions

Thread: Just a few questions

Just a few questions

Hello,

I've been reading about this all day and it seems like a great product.

Currently I am running Zimbra 6.0.16 32bit on Ubuntu 6.06 LTS.

I'd like to upgrade operating system to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit and Zimbra to version 8 64bit.

Now I understand that ZeXtras Suite is not yet ready for Zimbra 8, but once it is ( version 1.6 ? ), the process would look like this if I understand this correctly? I need ZeXtras Migration Tool, which is free, installed on OLD server and ZxBackup Tool on NEW server which has to be bought or used in trial mode, whose only limitation is to not be able to import backups older than 30 days? So I would have to make 'fresh' backups everytime I wanted to import them? Or does it have a time trial as well? I only really need it once for migration and then I'm set for a few years again

So what would be the recommended way to prepare the new server for migration?

1. Clean installation of new operating system
    2. Clean installation of Zimbra
    3. Set up for the same main domain, admin accounts -> what else?
    4. Install ZxBackup and import everything

I would also like the new server to have the same FQDN, perhaps IP can change but domain name should be the same.

Am I understanding this correctly or what else should I check prior to beginning the process?

Thank you

The CEO ZeXtras Employee
    Participant
    Quote Originally Posted by primski View Post
    Hello,
    Hello primski and welcome to the forum!

I've been reading about this all day and it seems like a great product.
    Thank you . I'm sure You'll love it once used ... and want to tell all your friends !

Currently I am running Zimbra 6.0.16 32bit on Ubuntu 6.06 LTS.

I'd like to upgrade operating system to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit and Zimbra to version 8 64bit.

Now I understand that ZeXtras Suite is not yet ready for Zimbra 8, but once it is ( version 1.6 ? ), the process would look like this if I understand this correctly? I need ZeXtras Migration Tool, which is free, installed on OLD server and ZxBackup Tool on NEW server which has to be bought or used in trial mode, whose only limitation is to not be able to import backups older than 30 days? So I would have to make 'fresh' backups everytime I wanted to import them? Or does it have a time trial as well? I only really need it once for migration and then I'm set for a few years again
    First of all , you have to wait the 1.6 version to do this migration (just few days).
    To perform a one-time migration your intention is correct:
    Install migration tool on old server
    Export all on a ferry store
    Install Zextras suite trial on news server
    Import ALL DATA on new Server
    Then evaluate the real time backup and restore module , mobile module, powerstore module and if you like you can buy the license on our store.
    If you don't buy any license you can just keep your new server as Standard OpenSource with ALL you data migrated in :-)

So what would be the recommended way to prepare the new server for migration?

[*]Clean installation of new operating system[*]Clean installation of Zimbra[*]Set up for the same main domain, admin accounts -> what else?
    You have to Set up all server "base" data like domains, ip, antispam/antivirus options etc...

[*]Install ZxBackup and import everything
    Yes, ZxBackup will Import all Account with specific options, mail, folders, shares, address book, calendars etc...

[/LIST]

I would also like the new server to have the same FQDN, perhaps IP can change but domain name should be the same.

Am I understanding this correctly or what else should I check prior to beginning the process?
    You have just to wait for stable 1.6 version ! :-) just few days, I promise ...

Thank you
    Thank You
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

ZeXtras CEO. Like a Boss.

Hi primski.

Quote Originally Posted by primski View Post
    ...what else should I check prior to beginning the process?
    I suggest you only a guide, if you are interested in a 0 downtime migration: Incremental migration with ZeXtras Backup

D0s0n
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

ok guys, thanks a lot. i'll wait until 1.6 is released.

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello primski,
    ZeXtras Suite 1.6.0 has been released, featuring full Zimbra 8.0 compatibility. See the full announcement at http://forums.zextras.com/news-annou...lity-here.html

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery