What about 8.7?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about 8.7?

What about 8.7?

Hello Cine,
    it seems 8.7 is finally here.... almost.
    What do YOU think about this release?
    By what I read the nice thing is you can get rid of a dedicated anti-spam system in front of zimbra and use Postscreen's capabilities (that I already use as a front-end antispam system with great satisfaction).
    BUT.... since you surely dug well into the code, is it really worth the wait or using a small postix filtering VM is still the best way to go ?
    Did they make any real interesting improvement to the core or it's juts a 8.6 plus postscreen?
    Thank you for your time and effort.

Alberto

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hey Alberto!

I'll be honest with you - I couldn't dig into the 8.7 beta as much as I wanted to because I've been really busy in the past few weeks, but what I saw is really promising: 8.7 is the beginning of a new era, I really love the new repo system and the fact that this makes it possible for third party packages to be updated "on the fly" without having to wait/do a full release upgrade. Postscreen is a very nice addition, the amount of fixes and improvements is quite large and includes updates to pretty much all third party components along with some CVE fixes on top of new features and bugfixes.

All in all, I have very high hopes for this release!

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    Last edited by Cine; 06-17-2016 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Friday grammar

Thank you for your kind asnwer, Cine.
    I guess the new REPO + Git will put an end to the discussions about the "Openness" of Zimbra project.
    I understand that for you, as a developer, it's a big step forward, yet, for us meek end users, 8.7 doesn't seems such a big imporement (apart for postscreen).
    Since it's not even clear if there will be a RC2 or Release... I'm left with no other option tha go with 8.6.
    Thank you for your time.
    Bye

Alberto

Hello Alberto!

As a sysadmin, I feel that the ability to push updates for any Zimbra component without the need of a full release and upgrade - which in large environments can be a pain - is a huge architectural improvement: that plus the webui/mailboxd separation from 8.6 is a pretty big step forward towards real HA and an easier time for sysadmins in general

Have a nice day,
    Cine

P.s.: A new RC has been confirmed by Jorge on the official forums...

Hi Cine,
    you are right, I only have a couple of small installations (single servers and a handful of accounts) so, stopping services for 20 minutes to perform a full upgrade is not a big issue to me.
    Once again, thanks for your time .
    Bye

Alberto

Well, it's finally here - 8.7 has been released.

Is there going to be any beta versions of ZeXtras for this version of ZCS and/or any tentative timeline for a release of ZeXtras for ZCS 8.7?

Hello Phoenix!

ZeXtras Suite 2.2.5, the first stable release compatible with Zimbra 8.7, will be released within a couple of hours

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

Hi Cine

Thanks for the quick reply and that excellent news. I guess I'll be upgrading my server today.

regards

Bill

Changelog up at http://wiki.zextras.com/wiki/Changelog and package available for download on the website, hooray for Zimbra 8.7!

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team

You caught me out there, I went out for a coffee just before you posted that news.

New version of ZCS 8.7 (single server) installed and updated along with the new ZeXtras - no problems whatsoever. Many thanks and well done to everyone at ZeXtras for their great work on these products.
    Regards

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast