What is the largest Zimbra Collaboration Implementation? How many users?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ajcody

Thread: What is the largest Zimbra Collaboration Implementation? How many users?

Question What is the largest Zimbra Collaboration Implementation? How many users?

I need to know what is the largest Zimbra Collaboration implementation (Open source or not), and how many users are provissioned in that implementation?

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello dennysisrael,
    wlecome to the forums!

As far as I know there's quite a number of infrastructures hosting several million of mailboxes each: ISPs Comcast (US) and Free (FR) are the frst two that come to my mind. Also, I think that Yahoo used Zimbra itself for their email service during their ownership, but I'm starting to get old and I'm not 100% sure on this

I think that the Zimbra staff could give you more information about this topic...

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

This is an interesting question. One of the things that always confuses me a bit is that a lot of the Zimbra documentation talks about a "large" deployment. So what does Zimbra consider to be a "small", "medium", or "large" deployment? We're running about 670 accounts. There are days that seems large to me (especially on bad days), but I understand that it's very small compared to others.

I'd love to hear if anyone has an ideas regarding deployment size. It would also be interesting if Cine was able to share the sizes of the largest Zextras deployments. I don't think he needs to name who they are, unless they want that info out there. It would also be interesting to know the size of the "average" Zextras deployment.

This is obviously not "mission critical" information, but I like learning more about how this great product is being used.

Thanks for building such a great tool in Zextras!

ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Hello bhotrock,
    I'm very glad you enjoy our software!

I can answer about the "largest ZeXtras deployment" right away: according to our records there are a couple of infrastructures hosting more than 100k mailboxes through Zimbra OSE + ZeXtras Suite... I can say for sure that there will be more and larger infrastructures in the future, we are eagerly working to make it happen and we have some very important things going on right in this days - starting from the roadmap I published a couple of days ago and including some very juicy news coming in September :P

Furthermore, according to purchase data I'd say tat the average size of a Zimbra OSE + ZeXtras Suite deployment it's between 1500 and 2500 mailboxes, but this is value is kinda off because ISPs - which host a lot of mailboxes on a few dedicated infrastructures - are not taken into account since they use a different kind of licensing.

About the whole "large deployment" concept, I'll ask a friend which is much more competent than me on this topic to shed a light as soon as possible but in the meantime let me express my personal opinion: I found that the vast majority of documentation about the topic actually applies to all Zimbra infrastructures, and I think that the concept of "large deployment" itself is not something set in stone. For an inexperienced sysadmin with limited resources, even a 100-mailbox Zimbra instance can be considered a "large deployment", while for a seasoned team of Zimbra veteran a multistore infrastructure hosting tens of thousands of mailboxes might just be a tick in a checklist.

Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

ZeXtras USA ZeXtras Reseller ajcody's Avatar
    Public information, Comcast picks Zimbra for online e-mail - CNET & Comcast now has more Internet subscribers than cable subscribers | New York Post. Comcast has millions of users on Zimbra Network Edition.

I don't think any of the large companies that use either the Network or FOSS edition of ZCS give details on what their user ratio is per mailstore though. That would be highly dependent on many variables and wouldn't be that useful anyways except in a very broad discussion of what might be possible. Even then though, one would need to test/QA on your own equipment/network and with the various features that are disable/disabled for your users.
    -Ajcody
    d0s0n likes this.