Case Insensitive filesystem

Thread: Case Insensitive filesystem

Case Insensitive filesystem

I seem to be stuck at the beginning. I am trying to initialize a migration on 6.0.16 with the most recent zextras installation and am being told that the export path is a case insensitive filesystem. Last I knew, an ext2 filesystem is very case sensitive. What am I missing here?

Hi bney,

I can confirm that ext2 is a case sensitive filesystem and I won't ask why you are using that so old filesystem... (maybe it is on an USB device)

On the other hand, ZeXtras does a specific test to ensure the case-sensitive support: it tries to create some files on two "case-different" folders and it verifies where they are stored, if they are "merged" in the same folder. So if this check fails, your export path is case insensitive.

Note: I moved your post here because it isn't related to the old thread.

Have a nice day.
    D0s0n
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

Its an old machine, thats why we are moving everything to a new machine, thats the whole point.

Linux mail 2.6.23.17-88.fc7 #1 SMP Thu May 15 00:35:10 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I have tried to export to both the internal system hard drives and an external USB connected drive.
    The fact remains that the file systems are case sensitive and zxmig seems to be broken.
    Your reply above was not helpful. Any other suggestions?

Just for everyones information, I solved the issue.

It turns out that if the zimbra user doesnt have write permission on the directory where the Zxmig outputs are going to go, you get the non case sensitive file system error. This is an incorrect error, the error should be that zimbra doesnt have write permissions. Something to fix in your next update Zextras guys

Hi bney,
    thanx for your feedback, but it seems very weird... can you please post the previuos previous of that folder?

D0s0n
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

All I did was change the permissions mask on the directory for the export from drwxr-xr-x to drwxrwxrwx
    Once I did that that, the migration started right up. ownership is still root, but its now world writable. It almost seems that
    the case sensitivity code is assuming that if the directories and files it creates aren't in the locations its expecting, then the
    test fails. It doesn't seem to be looking at any other possible reasons that it might have failed, like write permission.

Thanks for this thread.. I was having the same problem with insenstitive filesystem error and it confused me that I didn't even think it may be a zimbra write permission issue. So I went in and changed the permissions of my destination path, and zxMig could proceed...

Thanks again folks!

Tim