Remote backups?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Remote backups?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    26

    Remote backups?

    My zimbra systems run on a high speed SAS SAN. I would really prefer the option to have backups stored externally. I know I could setup an sshfs mount, but wouldnt be good and rsync (im guessing the current system uses rsync) to an sshfs mount causes tons of hd thrashing and incredibly slow. Why not have an option to do the backups directly to a remote system?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Known ZeXtras Reseller
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    65
    Hello,

    We discut about the remote backup on this thread http://forums.zextras.com/zxbackup/3...es-backup.html too.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv1 View Post
    Hello,

    We discut about the remote backup on this thread http://forums.zextras.com/zxbackup/3...es-backup.html too.
    I am sorry, but those are just hacks and not a good solution. I am actually looking for native offsite backups. I have no interest in storing any type of local backups.

  4. #4
    ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by MACscr View Post
    I am sorry, but those are just hacks and not a good solution. I am actually looking for native offsite backups. I have no interest in storing any type of local backups.
    Hello MACscr,

    the topic linked by Sylv1 was actually about having a remote copy of the running backup, so it doesn't really apply to your case.

    Thus said, the Backup Path of the Real Time Scanner can be any kind of local or remote storage as long as it has a mountpoint on the Zimbra server and that the destination filesystem is Case Sensitive.
    If your network performance is enough to guarantee a proper I/O between the Zimbra server and the remote storage (being that mounted through sshfs, NFS, iSCSI or any other method) there is no problem in using a remote storage as the Backup Path for ZeXtras Backup, thus avoiding to have the backup stored locally.

    Have a nice day,
    Cine
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

    ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

    Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

    ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Cine View Post
    Hello MACscr,

    the topic linked by Sylv1 was actually about having a remote copy of the running backup, so it doesn't really apply to your case.

    Thus said, the Backup Path of the Real Time Scanner can be any kind of local or remote storage as long as it has a mountpoint on the Zimbra server and that the destination filesystem is Case Sensitive.
    If your network performance is enough to guarantee a proper I/O between the Zimbra server and the remote storage (being that mounted through sshfs, NFS, iSCSI or any other method) there is no problem in using a remote storage as the Backup Path for ZeXtras Backup, thus avoiding to have the backup stored locally.

    Have a nice day,
    Cine
    Cine, thanks for replying.

    Are hard links required? If so, then sshfs wouldnt work. Plus its very slow when combined with rsync (rsync over straight sshfs is 10 times faster).
    Are you using rsync for the incremental part of the backups? If so, why not allow us to do it over ssh?

  6. #6
    ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,342
    Hello MACscr,

    no hardlinks required, the only filesystem requirement is the Case Sensitiveness as ZxBackup uses the SHA1 algorithm for file naming.

    As said, SSHFS is only one of the available options (and as you correctly state, one of the less performing)...
    You can use any kind of remote storage that suites your needs as long as it has a mountpoint on the system.

    Have a nice day,
    Cine
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

    ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

    Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

    ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    26
    So back to my original request. 1) Is rsync being used within your backup solution. 2) Why not a remote option like rsync over ssh?

  8. #8
    CTO ZeXtras Employee d0s0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    565
    Hi MACscr.
    Quote Originally Posted by MACscr View Post
    So back to my original request.
    1) Is rsync being used within your backup solution?
    No, ZxBackup module doesn't use rsync.

    Quote Originally Posted by MACscr View Post
    2) Why not a remote option like rsync over ssh?
    If you need it, you can use it, as Sylv1 suggest you, but for now ZeXtras Backup is designed to use a locally accessible filesystem in a way that permit a replication without any problem (the backup path is always consistent). Other remote options (like for example Amazon S3 or other cloud store solutions) are interesting fetures to investigate, but for now they aren't an our priority.

    D0s0n
    ZeXtras Website # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

    Head of ZeXtras System Administrators

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by d0s0n View Post
    Hi MACscr.

    No, ZxBackup module doesn't use rsync.


    If you need it, you can use it, as Sylv1 suggest you, but for now ZeXtras Backup is designed to use a locally accessible filesystem in a way that permit a replication without any problem (the backup path is always consistent). Other remote options (like for example Amazon S3 or other cloud store solutions) are interesting fetures to investigate, but for now they aren't an our priority.

    D0s0n
    Still no rsync support?

  10. #10
    ZeXtras Community Manager ZeXtras Employee Cine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by MACscr View Post
    Still no rsync support?
    Hello MACscr!

    rsync-over-ssh can be implemented as a cronjob to keep an offsite copy of your backup (see Taking Additional and Offsite backups of ZxBackup's Datastore - ZeXtras Suite Wiki and rsync's manpage - specifically the '-e' option), while no "direct" remote backup system has been implemented yet.
    As D0s_0n said, this is something we are really looking forward, but it's very unlikely that any steps will be taken further in this direction until after the release of ZeXtras Suite 2.0, which will feature a completely rewritten and optimized ZxBackup module - no, no ETA yet...

    Have a nice day,
    Cine
    the ZeXtras Team
    IT Support Team Contact Form
    Sales Team Contact Form

    ZeXtras Website
    # ZeXtras Wiki # ZeXtras Store

    Have ZeXtras Suite or ZeXtras Migration Tool been helpful to you?
    Share your experience in the Zimbra Gallery!

    ZeXtras Suite on the Zimbra Gallery
    ZeXtras Migration Tool on the Zimbra Gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •